Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 and Auto Tuner

KB4HL
KB4HL Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Can any one using the 6300 tell me which 100 watt auto tuner can be connected to auto tune when the smart sdr  tune button is selected and how it is connected to do this. Thanks

Answers

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The SmartSDR TUNE button is for use with the radio's optional internal tuner. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Most any external auto-tune Tuner will tune as soon as an appropriate amount of RF is applied.  Just connect an external auto tuner in line with your 6300, click on the SDR Tune button... done.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree with KF4HR - any of the tuners which sample the RF coming into the tuner will tune with the 10W (adjustable on the Flex) that the "Tune" button provides.  I use this consistenly with my Palstar HF-Auto.  If the tuner you purchase has memories for different frequencies, once you have memorized the tuning combinations on the bands you intend to use, just tap the Flex Tune button to activate tune for a second and the tuner will usually complete on its own.  This also is how I run the HF-Auto.  Hope this helps.  (I just used a lot more words to say what the previous entry said!)  

73, Duane
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I have  an LDG AT-200Pro and as folks mention,  I just hit tune for a second and it automatically goes to the memorized tuning for the frequency.   I also have the internal tuner so the rig tuner is in bypass when I am using the external tuner. 

The one caution I have is that if you use something like WSJT-X that has a tune button, recognize that it will turn the transmitter on at full power.  It is not like using the tune button within SmartSDR where you can set the tune power to a low output level.
    73,  Bob WK2Y   
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I use the LDG AT-200 Pro II.  Here is the 100 watt version (AT-100 Pro II):
    http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/17/1/1
     Pressing the Tune button on the Flex causes a tone to be generated at what ever tuning power you have set.   My Flex 6300 and LDG tuner is in a GatorBox.  Both live happily in the crawl space under my home (very--very--very dry sealed with vapor barriers).  Its the second tuner I've bought from LDG.   The tuners are excellent and LDG's support/customer service reminds me of FRS.  Incredible!
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I have a older AT-Auto connected to mine all I have to do is have the tuner in AUTO mode and click on the tune button in the FLex Software. Tuner sees the RF and tunes. I love my AT-Auto by the way. It does full legal limit so you will never grow out of it. I will warn you, its BIG.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The tune button is not only for an internal tuner,,,it is also used for using an external manual tuner as well.
  • Jon Shannon
    Jon Shannon Member
    edited September 2017
    ldg  z100 plus works fine , hookup as usual 

• N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    You can buy a Flex preowned tuner for the 6300 for only $249 with warranty.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have the Palstar HF Auto and it works great with about 10 watts from the tune button. Incidentally it’s about exactly the same dimension as the PGXL, which I plan to stack on top of it. ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2017
    TUNE is not used with the internal ATU.  It is only for external ATUs.

The Internal ATU has its own mechanism for generating the proper signal for tuning.
  • KB4HL
    KB4HL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Thanks so much for all the reply's I really appreciate it.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The first 500 watts is the most important.  With that in mind I recommend getting a tuner that can handle at least 500 watts.  You never know if you'll someday want to get a small amp.

I use an Elecraft KAT500 matching unit and their KPA500 amplifier.  The combination works flawlessly with my 6700.  The nice thing is that I have FULL control of both units using RCForb when operating remote.  I setup RCForb to use a dummy radio and only use it to control the tuner and amp.  The KAT500 lets you select up to 3 different antennas while operating remote.  Works well with my 6700.  I've been using this combination for over 4 years now.

The KAT500 and KPA500 are also tightly integrated to DDUtil if that is important to you.  Lots of safety features ie. Automatically sets output power to 100w when the amp is in STBY or bypass mode, then sets it to 18w when the amp is in OPER mode.  Forces rig to never output more than a preset value in DDUtil - won't overdrive amp. etc....

The KAT500 is small but is an amazing piece of kit.  You can even turn it on or off remotely.  This is all built into both units and does not require any external switches, relays, cables, or other devices.

Norm - W7CK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.