Flex 6300 8 second delay over LAN

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
Not the worst problem in the world but my laptop has an 8 second delay in what it shows on the panadapter, the power out, the SWR,  than what is live. The keying and audio reception is unaffected so I can make contacts but in looking for contacts on the panadapter what I see is 8 seconds old. My wired desktop is fine.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Sounds like you have a very slow wifi. Did u ever run a wifi speed test? Also ur laptop might be very underpowered.

Probably should label ur problem

Slow Wifi slow computer caused 8 second delay rather than blaming ur radio.
Photo of SteveJ

SteveJ

• 83 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Maybe Burt didn't know at the time of creating the label that it possibly could be the a slow wifi or computer. He is just reporting what conditions he is experiencing. It has not been determined that the radio is not at fault.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

As you said since I don't know the cause, I am not assigning blame. I will say this is a recent occurrence, I have had the 6300 since August, I noticed this problem since January 29, prior to that it worked fine (about the same time all my SmartSDR virtual ports disappeared). On the other hand there is no reason to believe WiFi is slow as it plays videos fine, which is more demanding than the 6300, I would think.

(Edited)
Photo of M0GVZ

M0GVZ

• 45 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Burt. Its not the throughput which is the issue but the latency which affects real time data transmission. You can have a service that can stream Netflix in HD but have bad latency and be useless for gaming.

It could be because there's a nearby wifi network on the same channel. Use InSSIDer on your PC to do a scan.
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
It will be interesting to compare this result between 1.38 and 1.40.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Did I miss something, is 1.4 out?
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
No, as I'm still on sick leave and have time to play. Knowing my luck, it will be released after I return to work on 24th February. BUT as I have a long weekend next weekend so I bet it will be 2nd March when I return to full-time work and have (much) less time to play.

Best wishes,

Guy
(Edited)
Photo of W1IMD

W1IMD

• 43 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I believe this is a known bug in 1.3.8. I and many others have experienced this as well.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Come to think of it this problem could have occurred after I updated to 1.38 but I really am unsure about that.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
So revert to 1.3 and see if it goes away.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

That will cause more problems as the desktop is on 1.38

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Not really, it takes about five minutes to try. Then go back to 1.38 and the desktop will be fine.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
When I had different versions on the desktop and laptop it kept want to downgrade, plus wont I lose my global settings?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 984 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Burt, the issue is latency so you really cant compare it to playing videos regardless of which is more intensive.  A video always spools up and plays so you have nothing to compare it time base. It could be 8 seconds behind and you would never know it.

You might try going direct cable to your PC as a test to see if it goes away. When you are doing something wireless you an extra variable to deal with. Not only do you have the Ethernet link but you have a RF wireless link that basically adding another leg in series.

Does your router have extra ports on it where you can plug in your laptop direct?
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Rich how do you explain a month ago it worked fine and nothing has changed as far as I know in the wireless network?
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 984 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Burt I can't because we don't have enough info to make a diagnosis.  Like you said you are not assigning blame so we don't know where the fault is.

I am an IT guy and business networks is what I do. I don't often contribute to threads as most topics are over my head. However this is one thing I do know a little bit about. 

You could have a failing router or infected computer hogging bandwidth on the network, problem network cable.  Pretty long list of possibilities.

So just going through the troubleshooting steps with you.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Burt run a speed est on your wifi

http://www.speedtest.net

It could very well be a slow wifi connection so report results. Here.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

WiFi

That seems OK for Wifi and is faster than I had even when there was no 8 second delay

Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Interesting isn't it Howard?   I have to do some research to find out why.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
@Jay

It would seem counter intuitive
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 984 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Well you can never get an accurate result if you don't test under identical conditions. As an example it is not uncommon for a wireless network to test well using a small transfer file size yet fail when transferring a larger file.

My old wireless network did well until I started backing up large files/data and then turned into a pooch.   Snapping into a AC modem doubled my throughput.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Howard, Different portions of my network ar being exercised. Going out to the Internet, my laptop only goes to the WIFI switch and out. Going from my laptop to my iMac, traffic goes from my laptop to the WIFI switch, then down a Gigabit Ethernet link to another switch and then to my iMac. I think I need to see if there is something going on with the switch in the shack, like maybe it needs to be power cycled.

I'll try going from my laptop to another laptop on the WIFI switch to see if I get different results.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I understand when FRS releases 1.4 the UN will declare World Peace, ISIS will surrender, Russia will declare oil a failed resource and vow to be the world leader in renewable energy, and apply for NATO membership.

Burt, do you happen to run CW Skimmer and/or SDR-Bridge? I noticed the same thing you initially reported when I installed those two apps yesterday. One of them launched this orphaned process that drove CPU to 100% and caused the same very noticeable multi-second lag between the panadapter display and the audio out of the 6500. I killed the orphaned process (I say orphaned as I couldn't get it to  display or move off the bottom bar showing running processes (or HWND-Main processes. I killed it, unclicked the DAXIQ 1 checkbox in SDR bridge, then clicked it on and all returned to normal.

This is just an idea since what I noticed parallels what you describe.

Walt - kz1f
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
I do not use those applications, the computer was pretty much doing nothing when I was using SmartSDR 
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 579 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Burt, your only problem is that GCHQ/NSA  is intercepting everything you do and running it through their computers first (probably with cause).  You might my consider emigration to Sri Lanka or Fiji....   LOL!
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 217 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Have you added any new phones or other wireless devices I n your home?
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
No
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Burt
Have you done a site survey to see if your laptop can see any other wifi networks.

Sometimes if your close enough to your neighbors, one of their wifi channels may be hogging the available bandwidth

If you see other wifi networks then you ned to find which channels that they are on and then change the channel of your router to an unoccupied one.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
I only have 2 neighbors and both are extremely weak when visible at all
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
Those poor folks. You should bring them some soup, or something.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Burt, another good utility you can get to do your WIFI site survey (to see if there are other wifi networks broadcasting on the same channel) is called "InSSIDer". It is a very handy utility! http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
too cheap to pay the $20
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
Just chimed in to say that Burt. v3 is free. My email at QRZ.com is correct. Drop me a line and I'll upload my copy and send you a link.

Also, I have found that setting a network's card speed manually instead of auto-negotiation results in slow speeds too.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 984 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Did I miss something that says this is related to WIFI?  Have we plugged the notebook in direct to the router.

Remove as many parts of the equation as possible or you will never figure it out.  Most WIFI in general sucks. See if thats even the issue before trying to fix it.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

This morning it worked perfectly over wifi as I was preparing to do a direct connect.

The only difference is when I had the delay it was in the evening

Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
burt

since you mentioned it, i'm having the same problem with slow pan updates; mine is even worse,
around 15 seconds or so.  To date, all my local wifi devices were only 802.11n speed, so, I'm in the process of upgrading all my local wifi stuff up to 802.11ac...First, the shack wifi range extender...picked up a Linksys AC1200MAX at BestBuy for $79.00...replacing my netgear WN2000RPTV2...next will be the slow at&t dsl modem / wifi router (N speed)...then, maybe an AC speed USBstick for my old laptop..

perhaps this lengthy delay for 1.4 release is 'an opportunity' ??

73, w5xz
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
An eight SECOND latency isn't likely to be explained by anything in your network topology.  That's an eternity in network time.  An added 8 milliseconds, maybe.  But 8 SECONDS?  You could transmit the data though a geostationary satellite... twice... and still have no where near eight seconds of latency.

There's something going on in the software somewhere.  It's either in the radio side, or the computer side. Somebody's buffering a whole lot of data.

If you immediately stop and restart SSDR does the problem persist?  If so, that would seem to eliminate SSDR as the culprit.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
You are absolutely correct.  This is a cache/synchronization issue.  8 seconds is indeed too long for this to be a network latency issue.  
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
It takes me 2.7 seconds to bounce my signal off of the moon.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
I did re-start to no advantage but this morning for some reason, no delay.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 877 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
Burt, could it be your computer is/was taking an update from Windows? I have had Windows Update hog the network and create problems during an update while running other programs. Once the update finally was downloaded and installed, things returned to normal.
Just an idea.
james
WD5GWY

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
When I have used it several other times in the past month there was also a delay.
Photo of John N5MYL

John N5MYL

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I experienced the same latency/lag issue with my 6300, but on my desktop.  I am running a Dell Xeon dual quad core with each core running 3.2g, 16g of memory with Windows 7 Ultimate.  I had previously used this computer for intensive video editing.   It is now dedicated for radio operations only.  Initially, things were ok, as long as I stayed on one band in relatively the same place.  If I moved frequency or switched bands, latency would be seen until things stabilized.   I began monitoring my task monitor and later the resource monitor. I was alarmed to see that total CPU usage averaged 93% across all 8 cores.  I noticed that after I closed the dax and cat connections that CPU usage went down, a little.  If I were to minimize SSDR, CPU usage would return to less than 12%. After many hours researching the knowledge base and forums, I put in a ticket.  Dudley suggested a video card change, which helped, tremendously. The card speed is 797mhz and has 2g of memory.   I can now use my radio with little problems--but only with 1 slice. Now, if I were to open the second slice, the latency comes back, but not as severe. (total CPU usage again in the low 90's)  It was a minor inconvenience using both slices when I worked K1N.  It should be noted that both slices occupy one screen 50/50 of a dual screen setup, and no other programs are running other than the task manager and resource monitor. 
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1030 Posts
  • 999 Reply Likes
Sorry I've not chimed in on this earlier.  In v1.3.x of the software, the client processes panadapter and waterfall data as it is sent to the PC from the radio.  The data is preformatted so it's all about drawing speed.  There are a few instances where the PC may not be able to draw fast enough.  These include: CPU slow, video card slow or processor went to sleep/low power mode.  In these situations, the CPU does not retrieve the frames from the Ethernet driver fast enough and they can "back up" in the operating system.  Once this delay is present, it is generally not relieved without restarting the client in v1.3.

In v1.4, we service all of the Ethernet requests faster and if the PC ever gets behind drawing, we simply toss out the old frames.  Please don't rush out an buy a new PC either.  I see software companies boast all the time about performance improvements like "runs 50% faster," so I hate to say this, but gosh v1.4 performance is much better than v1.3.  We're working hard to get v1.4 in your hands soon.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes
In v1.4, ... if the PC ever gets behind drawing, we simply toss out the old frames.

Darn!  I didn't even get to make my suggestion!  You already implemented it.

Thanks Steve!

Peter K1PGV

Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Thanks Peter!