FLEX 6300 6500 6700 fans

• Idea
  • Updated 7 days ago
  • (Edited)
I’ve had a number of emails lately inquiring as to fan availability. If we can get enough takers, I’ll order another 100 fans.

Maybe if everyone committed to a minimum of 4 each, we could make it happen quickly. If you have interest, contact me directly at k2cb at comcast dot net. Give me an idea of how many you want. Min of two, preferably four. Hopefully I can get the mfg to honor the same pricing as last time.

I’ll report back as to whether or not we have enough participants to make another group buy work.

Eric
K2CB
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes

Update - I checked in with the manufacturer today, and due to the Chinese New Year, the shipment date has slipped a few weeks.  The current estimated ship date is 3/12/19.  I will update further once I have confirmation that they have shipped.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric
K2CB

Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 189 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Tnx for the update Eric and Tnx for helping out Getting Them. Well done Sir!
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1864 Posts
  • 679 Reply Likes
There are some updates on my web page to show the locations of the CPU and FPGA fans in case you decide to just replace one of them based on the error code.  

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

and here if you have any questions, comments or feedback on the process.

https://groups.io/g/FlexRadioSmartSDR/topic/cpu_and_fpga_fan_locations/29659458?p=,,,50,0,0,0::recen...

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
UPDATE -

The first half of the fans shipped from the factory Monday. I should have them Friday. I will try to get them packaged for shipment over the weekend and out to everyone on Monday.

I am told the second half will ship 3/18, or thereabouts. I will be shipping first in, first out, as per when the preorders were received.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric
K2CB

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
GOOD NEWS!

Finally, after a long delay, the entire shipment of fans arrived. The final delay was the 3-pin connector, which was on backorder, and held things up. The upside is the entire shipment is now here!.  

My work schedule is a little crazy the next few weeks, traveling in and out of town, but I should be able to get most, it not all, orders shipped out by early next week. I will email everyone their tracking information once their package is ready for shipment.

Thank you for your patience!

Eric
K2CB

(Edited)
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 186 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Great news! Was just about to send e-mail and ask. Tnx in advance!  Johan
(Edited)

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Good evening, everyone.

I was finally home long enough this weekend, after a hectic two weeks of work related travel! Murphy's Law in that the fans finally arrived as I was literally leaving for the airport!

The orders were packaged over the weekend, and everyone's fans shipped out first thing this morning, thanks to my xyl K2JCD.

I wound up getting in a little late this evening, but I'll try to email everyone their tracking info individually some time tomorrow, as my work schedule pernits.

Due to the long delay, I had to manually enter in everyone's shipping info, as PayPal's auto ship option expires after 90 days! I now also need to manually send fifty some-odd emails as well, since the multi-order shipment option does not allow for an email entry.

Stateside you should receive your package by Wednesday or Thursday. Those outside the US should expect their package in 10-14 days.

At this time all fans have been spoken for. Should we do another bulk purchase, I am told lead time will be approximately 14-16 weeks, and will now be subjected to a 10% tariff surcharge.

Thank you again to everyone who participated this time around. And more importantly, your patience!

Regards,

Eric
K2CB

Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 96 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Thanks, Eric, and to the XYL for going above and beyond for the Flex community!
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 186 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Great job both of you! Tnx and Happy Easter :) following my parcel on tracking and enjoy the journey .. lol
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 33 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Is it just me, or does that photograph put you in mind of a vehicle prepared to drive to the ransom drop-off point?!
Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 121 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Received mine today.  Great job - Thanks!!

Keith - AC9S
Photo of Jim Runge

Jim Runge

• 93 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Tnx Eric and Jill. Received my 4 fans today.
73 Jim K6JR
Photo of Bob Wright, N7ZO

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Eric,
Received.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes

Tracking information emails were sent to everyone this evening. I apologize for the delay in sending the notifications. As I mentioned previously, my work schedule has been very busy lately.

Since the fans took so long to arrive from the factory in China, the PayPal automated shipping links expired after 90 days. Therefore, I had to manually re-enter in everyone's shipping information, then print each label, and then manually email each person individually. Unfortunately, PayPal's multi-order-shipping system does not provide for email notifications during manual entries. 

Most importantly, the packages were on their way first thing Monday morning.

Thank you again for everyone's participation!

Eric

K2CB

(Edited)
Photo of K3DCW

K3DCW

• 96 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Fans shipped Monday, arrived here on Wednesday.

Thanks again, Eric, for your great support of the Flex community!
Photo of John Langdon

John Langdon

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Put me on the list for the next batch.

73 John N5CQ

Photo of Steve - K4HG

Steve - K4HG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does anyone have an extra they would sell? I got screwed on this deal and would appreciate help. Because of the delay the fans shipped when I was on the road for six months. I emailed Eric long before he got the fans, he said he would contact me before shipping to get a current address. But he didn’t, and they went to an address that cannot be checked until November. I contacted the post office and they said I need to file a claim, but I can’t because I need the original insurance application and proof of value and Eric is not answering my emails to give this to me (his last email was I should just accept the loss because he had so much work to mail these. So I’m out $94, but worse is I have no fan. I did the manual lube trick from other threads, but I hear the noise again and I’m sure failure is imminent. If anyone can help me out email me at k4hg@tapr.org. Thanks!

Steve. K4HG

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 261 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Steve, 

I will not let your false claims go unanswered. You need to get your facts in order. 

You were not screwed.  Your fans were delivered to the address sent with your PayPal payment,  Yes, I do admit that I received your email weeks earlier to ship to an alternate address, but with the delay in receiving the shipment from the manufacturer, and the shear amount of packages I needed to get out in a rush between work travel, I inadvertently overlooked your earlier request, and shipped to the address provided via PayPal.  

You emailed me one time when you received the tracking number, and your tone was quiet rude. I immediately replied to your email. You then replied one last time, stating that you felt like you were screwed. That was the LAST of our correspondence. You never emailed me again, nor requested any info as per your claim above.   If you did, I would have been happy to give you whatever info you felt was necessary. 

Regardless, per your comment above, there is no "insurance application". Or "proof of value"'. The package was insured via priority mail, and the USPS knows this.  The tracking shows the package was delivered to your address.  I'm not sure what else they can do.  

I have a hard time believing there was NO way for you to have a friend or family member retrieve your mail from your second address. You stated that there was "no way anyone could get it out of the mailbox".  If this in fact true, then the package should be there when you return.

I have not heard a single word (or email) from you since this last email on 4/19. Never did I say you should just "accept your losses".  One the contrary, you commented that if it weren't for the long delay, you would have filed a complaint with PayPal.

I could post our email correspondence here for all to see, but I will not step to that level, nor do i have time for such antics. For you to come here and make false accusations just shows your character, and only confirms what I saw from your last email of 4/19. 

Plenty of hams have dealt with me over the years, and my character speaks for itself. I am not about to screw anyone for a few dollars. 

The more I look at your email and posting, some things just don't add up with your story.  

Eric
K2CB

Photo of Steve - K4HG

Steve - K4HG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I didn’t post here to start a fight, I was just hoping someone would have pity on me and help me out. But since you want conflict, there are inaccuracies in your telling. First, we exchanged five emails on the day you sent the tracking number, three from me and two from you. None was rude. Yes I was upset, because you promised to get the correct address before shipping and you did not. Did you have a lot to do? Yes, but that doesn’t help me get my fans. Five days later, after receiving information on how to file a claim from usps I emailed you . They require proof of value, like a bill of sale or invoice, and “the original web application” for insurance. When I got no response I tried again a few days later. As to your character, never once did I say YOU screwed me. You screwed up, but I never said there was an intention or character issue. But I was screwed, since I paid $94 and have no fan. Maybe the fans will be in the mailbox come November, but after 6 months in the Florida heat and humidity I doubt they will be useable. The closest person I could ask is in Miami, a six hour round trip, hardly a realistic option. If I had such an option I would have done it rather than beg for a chance to spend more money. USPS will look for the package once there is a completed claim filed, but I can’t do that without an invoice and the web application. So I am screwed in this transaction, whether you choose to believe it or not.

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 261 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Like I stated earlier, the last email I received from you was on 4/19. Check your sent email folder and make sure it went to the correct address; had I received a request for same, I would have replied.
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 380 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
Just a couple side comments.  I believe Paypal will not honor any of their buyer/seller protections if the item is not shipped to the Paypal address of record.  I could be wrong about this since i have not read the document in a long time but if correct changing the address could have been an issue. 

Also, once it was known that the item was going to be shipped to the wrong address. USPS allow a package redirect to a different address to be completed on their website.  It is not free but it does work as I had to use it one time in the past with a shipment.  The item had gotten as far as the local post office and it still got redirected.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve - K4HG

Steve - K4HG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
John, thanks. PayPal was never an option because of the time that had elapsed since payment, I just mentioned it to Eric that even though he made the mistake I was the one that was screwed. However at the time the package shipped my paypal address had already been changed, so if it wasn’t for the time between paying and shipping it wouldn’t be an issue.

Within a few hours of Eric sending the tracking number I reminded him of his promise to get a current address first and I notified him to recall the package. Unfortunately since nearly a week had elapsed between when he shipped and when he emailed the tracking info (again, because he was busy) Eric said USPS said the package was already “out for delivery” and could not be recalled or redirected. Part of the error lies with USPS as well since there was a forwarding order nothing should have been left in the mailbox. If Eric decides to send me an invoice as proof of value and the other info I need I can file a claim and then usps says they will send someone to the mailbox to look for the package, but they refuse to do anything without the claim, even though the postmaster admits after looking at the tracking number and the forward order the package was delivered incorrectly. Damn bureaucratic BS.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 104 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I do believe I have a couple hanging around.  I will try to remember to look for them tomorrow.  My e-mail address is good on QRZ.  Send me a PM as a reminder..73's  de WA1STH
Photo of Steve - K4HG

Steve - K4HG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wonderful, thanks!
Photo of Craig Haggerty

Craig Haggerty

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I also would love to get a fan for my 6300, thanks.

Craig Haggerty
W0CHH

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I am putting together a list for another group purchase. Anyone interested in participating this time around, please email me direct, and I will add you to the list.

Eric
K2CB
k2cb@comcast.net

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes

I've had a number of inquiries again recently regarding fan availability.  I am planning another bulk purchase.  In order to gauge interest, and get an idea how many to order, please email me direct at k2cb@comcast.net  and I will add you to the list.  I expect delivery to be sometime mid November. Minimum 2 pieces. Based on an estimated quantity, I expect pricing to be somewhere close to the last time around, which was $42 a set ($21 each).  Postage via flat rate @$10 US, International shipping based on your qth.

Eric
K2CB

(Edited)

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I just spoke with the manufacturer.

Based on the anticipated quantity, the pricing will remain the same, pre-tariff.

However, due to the current trade war, there is now a 22% tariff in effect on the fans coming into the US from China. The last time around it was only 5%, which based on the pre-tariff cost basis of $20, resulted in a price of $21.

Now, due to the increased tariff,  the cost per set has increased to $49, plus shipping. Also, due to the increase in postage from the last time around, postage will now be $11.  This makes the total $60 per set, shipped in the US. 

International buyers, I will quote you a shipping cost based on your location.

If buying more than one set, also contact me for an exact shipping amount.

Additionally, I was initially misquoted on the lead time, as they are now quoting me 14-16 weeks lead time. Estimated delivery will be sometime in February 2019.

As last time around, this is going to be done on a pre-sale basis.  I expect to only have a few sets on hand when it is all said and done, so be sure to take part now, and do not rely on any being left after the order is placed. Once placed, I can not add additional units, as they are built to order.

I will accept pre-paid orders up until 11/8/2019, and then place an order on Monday 11/11/2019 for the presold total, plus a few spares.

If you would like to purchase a set, you can send a payment directly to

hamcables@gmail.com     (not my regular email address of k2cb@comcast.net)

International buyers, please CONTACT ME FIRST for exact shipping costs.   

Please note, I am NOT retired, and do a lot of work related travelk, so if I don't reply immediately, don't panic! I will reply as soon as reasonably possible.

Thank you for your interest and participation.

Eric
K2CB

Photo of John - AI4FR

John - AI4FR

• 276 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Eric thank you for doing this!! Just yesterday I had the dreaded "Shutdown Fan FPGA Error" occur on my 6700. Earlier I had purchased 3 fans from you that I've been saving for just such an occurrence. I installed your fans yesterday and all has been well ever since. Total time to do the install was about 30 minutes which included disconnecting the radio and placing it back into service. I simply swapped out the fans and not the heatsinks. Super easy. So again, thank you!!!!!

I apologize for the poor pictures. My goal for taking them was to place all wires back into their original positions after the install so the pics were for reference.

I'll also email you but please count me in for 3 more.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1864 Posts
  • 679 Reply Likes
The YouTube video on how to replace the fans was deleted, (not sure how).  But the author,  Manuel / W4SSB was able to locate and reload it.  The video link on my web page notes has been updated. 

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes

The order was placed on 11/11/19, as promised.

Similar to the last time around, I ordered extra units to have on hand, just in case. 

At the moment I have a handful that are unspoken for. The last time they all sold prior to arrival, so if anyone needs fans, act now before they are all spoken for!

See prior posting for details.

Eric

K2CB

(Edited)

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Merry Christmas everyone!!!  Surprise!!! SANTA CLAUS ARRIVED EARLY!!!  

Guess what the brown truck dropped off today?

Due to some very fortunate circumstances, the order was able to be rushed in from overseas, and the fans arrived today!

I will do my best to get them boxed up over the weekend, and out in the mail Monday (work schedule permitting).

For those of you still considering a purchase, at this time I have a handful of sets unspoken for. Once they are gone, that's it!    There is no telling at this time if there will be sufficient future demand to place another bulk order. As some discovered, it's been almost a year since the last order, and a long wait..... so grab them while you can.

Eric
K2CB

Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 124 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
 Hi Eric —

thanks for doing this for everyone!

Email sent, hopefully you have two left...   ;-)

Justin

KL2D

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 272 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
I have a few sets remaining at this time. 

Eric
K2CB

Photo of Ray - K6LJ

Ray - K6LJ

• 98 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I would like a set. K6lj please email me with details rjdev@ix.netcom.com