Flex 6300, 6500, 6700 FAN ERRORS

• Praise
  • Updated 4 months ago
Bill / VA3WTB asked me to post this on the community.

If you get the CPU Fan error or the FPGA Fan error the general remedy is to replace the fan.  Several people have reported another way to potentially correct the problem.  

The fan bearing can be oiled.  Details and a picture have been added to the FAN ERROR section of my web page here:  

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Thanks to Bill W2PKY for proving the picture and notes.

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1845 Posts
  • 669 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 501 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
On the bottom side of the fan is a black sticker that can be peeled off with your finger nail or Xacto knife. The fan shaft is exposed and can be lubricated with a small drop of light oil. I removed the retainer ring using a sharp knife to allow the blade assembly to be removed from the body. The shaft can be cleaned and lubrication can be applied to the bearing. Replace the Teflon spacer and use black electrical tape in place of the sticker. Run the fan on the bench for a few hours to be sure it will be reliable in the radio.
Hope this helps.  

Bill W2PKY
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1845 Posts
  • 669 Reply Likes
Bill,
Your notes above are also on my web page along with all of the other pictures, instructions and videos. Thanks again to all that have provided information and a source for the fans.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ