Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 17 meter band interference

Lee
Lee Member ✭✭
I am running a flex 6300 with software version v1.6.17 installed. I have started to get 20 kc wide interference on my radio. Any help will be appreciated. imageimage

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Do you have a second receiver to see if it's the radio or interference?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Looks pretty ugly. So, what has changed in your near-field environment? Air conditioning on for the first time this season? New electronic device somewhere? Solar installation? If you have a directional antenna, does it peak in a particular direction? Does turning the panadapter right-side-up help? (joking on that one)

Good luck -- please report back, we all can benefit from noise signature identifications!

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good, now I'm not the first to suggest the rig is upside down! Seriously, it does appear to be a very local source of noise. Can you hear it on a portable radio such that you can try to isolate it?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    unplug the antenna, what do you see?

73  W9OY
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Those Chinese Grow Lights!!!
  • Lee
    Lee Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I checked noise with a kx3 it was still there. Signal went way down when I switched to a flag pole vertical. I am using a Hex beam at about 40 feet.
  • Lee
    Lee Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I checked. Thanks
  • Lee
    Lee Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I ordered a portable shortwave radio. Let you know.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Does it peak in a particular direction when you turn the hex beam? This might give you some indication of which direction to go (to send the police after the grow lights and what they're growing!)....
  • Don-KB6TSQ
    Don-KB6TSQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I get a similar pattern when our washer is running...it is more periodic...my two cents
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have seen this on several Wall-Wart type or switching power supplies, Routers, Ethernet switches, anything with speed control and electronic switching or ballasts type lighting such as LED's, Florescent,  mercury vapor, grow lights etc.

using a laptop to run the radio and the Radio on Battery power directly connected to the laptop, **** the MAIN AC breaker to the house and see if it goes away, if it does then turn 1 breaker on at a time and see if it comes back on, if it does then unplug EVERYTHING plugged in on that Breaker and powered on, hopefully you'll find it or possibly more then one device causing this.

If you have close by neighbors it could be coming from there devices as well and good luck with that.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Lee
    Lee Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank you, Was trying to connect my flex 3000 but lost cabe to modem
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Bret's advice is very good. You will have to hunt it down before you **** it. If you are lucky, it's in your house. KY6LA's slide deck on building a quiet station (search the Community) is a big help. 

A tricky thing is that noise is usually layered. Once you find the loudest offending source, there are almost always other sources you didn't notice waiting to spoil your happy dance. It's a process. Took me close to a year before I got all I could out of my house.

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My Guess is a RV Converter that is putting out to much noise

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.