Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6000 with KPA-500 FYI

Doug Hall
Doug Hall Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
From time to time people ask about QSK and amplifiers on the Flex, and about suitable values for TX Delay in the radio setup. Tonight I had the 'scope hooked up and looked at the key line on my 6300 and the RF output envelope from my amp. With TX Delay set to zero I see RF output start approximately 3 mS after the keyline is asserted. The keyline goes inactive again approximately 4 mS after RF goes away completely. With the Elecraft KPA-500 there is no hot switching even with the TX Delay set to zero. The attached 'scope image shows the keyline on the top trace and the output of the amplifier on the bottom trace. This is a single 30 wpm dit. (The waveform is the same with the amp on or off, only the RF output amplitude changes.)

For amplifiers with relays in the keying circuit you will need to add the appropriate TX Delay to prevent hot switching your amp. I just wanted to point out that with the KPA-500 (which has PIN diode switching) this does not appear to be necessary. I suspect it's true of the KPA-1500 as well as it also has PIN diode switching, but I don't have one of those. (I wish!)

Doug K4DSP

P.S. The odd artifacts on the RF output envelope are due to aliasing on the digital oscilloscope. You wouldn't see that on an old fashioned analog 'scope.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You should send that to Rob Sherwood, he is recomending to all with an Icom 7610 to set the TX delay to 15ms. with an KPA 500.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Apples and oranges.

1. The 7610 has different keying characteristics than the 6300.

2. I'm sure Rob has a better lab and is more knowledgeable and capable than I am.

3. Setting the delay to 15 mS with a Flex certainly won't hurt anything, it's just more than I need in my particular situation.

Doug K4DSP

• William Osborne
    William Osborne Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Does anyone know if the 6400/6600 series has the same keying characteristics?  I have a 6600M with delay set to 15ms but not sure i need it with SPE>
    Thanks--Bill__K5ZQ
  • William Osborne
    William Osborne Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Does anyone know if the 6400/6600 series has the same keying characteristics?  I have a 6600M with delay set to 15ms but not sure i need it with SPE>
    Thanks--Bill__K5ZQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.