Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 vertical chassis card cage layout

Options
Alex_KM5YT
Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
I would like to see Flex go to a vertical card cage chassis layout with plug-in boards similar to military gear - to allow "field" repairs, and indicator/diagnostics to permit more trouble-shooting by owners. It would allow pre-stocking of the most trouble-prone sections (boards), and I think would have avoided requiring a return for the PEN upgrade.

I suspect we would have to wait for the 7000 series for something like this to be implemented.

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ... i am stay in Germany but believe me, i can hear the FRS guy's laughter here. Real loud!

• Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Do elaborate and share the joke.  Since most military/industrial gear is configured this way - maybe it will be widely appreciated.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I hope Steve or Gerald will see your post. It would be interesting to read their response.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    there may be issues with cross-talk using a modular assemblies...just a guess..  73, w5xz, dan

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just a thought, consider that the military pays for that ability. So a 6700 may now go for $15,000  as a 7700 with all new design... :)

Dan -- KC4GO 
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Agree with both Dans (W5XZ, KC4GO) - cost would go higher, and yes - risk of cross-talk on the BUS and maybe difficult decisions on how to segment the boards.  I admit I think the Hilberling PT-8000 is "pretty" (pretty expensive, too!). But - eons ago (betraying my era) it used to be possible
    to make repairs on ham gear. SMT technology now makes this close to impossible for the marginally
    equipped, and board-swapping seems the only approach if it is awkward to ship a unit back to Texas.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Save your box when you buy the radio. You can probably ship it back to the mother ship for less than $50 insured. Lots cheaper than redesigning the radio.

Jon...kf2e
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This solution is not applicable to maritime mobiles and other relatively inaccessible/remote users.
  • lyndy brannen
    lyndy brannen Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you can have a card delivered to your maritime mobile , relatively inaccessible/remote location , you can ship the radio .
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Will cheerily agree to disagree with you.
  • John E Blum
    John E Blum Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    why not use a VME chassis and back plane. All ham gear is 30 years out of date with design and software development . Poor software QA and testing , poor written documents, and no bite. SDR 1985-1992 E-systems, package design 1960-1970 , QA and SQA 1960. Extreme costly junk is being sold to ham consumers.
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    VME was what I had in mind, but (due to non-involvement of late) wasn't sure if there wasn't something n generations beyond.  I don't know (for ex.) what the nicely-done
    Hilberling PT-8000 uses (prob. something German DIN?).
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    John - As I read assorted posts, I don't see this issue going away at all!  I see more 
    justification - as both functionality and technology advance ... but appreciate that it's
    something the FRS techvolk aren't at all keen on!  But I think they should bite the bullet and go this way!  Whether I will be able to afford it is orthogonal!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.