Flex 6000 Series headphones impedance

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I'm looking to get a good pair of studio headphones to plug into the 1/4" jack on the front of my 6300, but can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere in the technical docs.  What is the nominal and range of impedance for the front panel headphone jack?

73 de K3HEX
Photo of K3HEX

K3HEX

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I don't know the impedance but I have a pair of Radiosport headphones that I use - they beat my Heil ProSet hands down.  I don't use headphones a lot but when I do, it's usually a soft DX signal that I really need to concentrate on.

http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/Headsets.asp
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 184 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
The Grado SR60's are very very good on ear headphones. I think you could pay over a thousand dollars to get something equivalent to them. They are much cheaper than that, check out Amazon. I think the reason they sound so good is Mr.Grado listens to them to judge them, instead you using test gear and looking for good specs.

Dan
Photo of Alan ---  N5MSE

Alan --- N5MSE

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've been using the Heil Pro Set 3 on my 5000 and 6500 for the last 2 years.  They do require an adapter for 1/4 in.  They are excellent.
Photo of Neil K2NF

Neil K2NF

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response

Only published spec I have seen from Flex  for the 6000 series is:

<Headphone output : 16 Ohm Minimum Load  @ 21mw >

Photo of Mickey N4MB

Mickey N4MB

• 49 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Almost all audo output and headphones these days are low impedance, so as to work with low power solid state devices. It is very rare to see anything higher than this in modern electronic devices. The exceptions to this are some audiophile targeted devices. I use a Bose headset with switchable input on the low setting.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I'm using a Heil Proset 5 (HC-5 Element) with my Flex 6300.  No outboard audio processing.  I get very good audio reports.  The headset is very comfortable to wear for long periods.

I'm in Kansas and I spoke with a ham (W1AEX - Bob) in Connecticut.  He videoed a portion of our conversation.  He was using an Anan 100 connected via PowerSDR.  You can make your own opinion of my Heil ProSet 5.

Photo of Mike W9OJ

Mike W9OJ

• 104 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Sounds pretty good. What TX EQ settings are you using on the 6300?
Any processing or DEXP?
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
The settings I use for AM are as below.

Photo of Ned K1NJ

Ned K1NJ

• 316 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
           Have had a long list of headphones.  Active noise cancelling phones will take out air
 conditioner noise, blowers, lawnmowers, etc. without feeling like your head is in a clamp.
     I use Bose, very comfortable.

Ned,  K1NJ

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.