Flex 6000 Series and Heros Preselector Support

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

PowerSDR has native support for a Heros Preselector through the Flexwire interface.  Does the Flex 6000 series of radios and SmartSDR provide native support through the Flexwire interface as well?

Thanks for the help.

Photo of Mark - AD4MA

Mark - AD4MA

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Flex 6000 series do not use Firewire or USB instead they use Ethernet.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I can't delete this comment... but was completely off mark, I thought I read Firewire... not Flexwire. My apologies Mark as I didn't read your post correctly.
(Edited)
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 292 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
...And the 6500 and 6700 have "preselectors" (ham bandpass filters) built in.
Photo of Duane  N9DG

Duane N9DG

• 77 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
While the 5K I have is pretty much useless below the AM BCB as is, all the direct sampling SDRs that I have including the 6500 work very well with nothing added to them for front end filtering on those frequencies at all.

Are you sure you even need the pre-selector for those frequencies?

Or are you contemplating a 6K series radio and are wondering if the Heros pre-selector will work with the 6K series and SmartSDR?

Addendum: After visiting the Heros website after my initial post I see that they have pre-selectors for the HF spectrum as well. So my MF and LF comments are probably not relevant to the original question..... oops. The last time I saw discussions about the Heros gear it was in the context of MF and LF operation with the 5K series, hence my comments ...
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - AD4MA

Mark - AD4MA

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

It is true that the 6500 and 6700 have receive bandpass filters, but unless I am mistaken the 6300 does not (I imagine there are filters in all of the 6000 series to prevent aliasing).  So I think that a preselector may be of use with the 6300 in some situations.

PowerSDR has native support for the Heros preselector through the FlexWire interface (I2C).  I am wanting to know if SmartSDR and the 6000 series provide support for the Heros preselector through FlexWire as well?  I imagine that if support exists for the 6000 series it would span all 6000 models even if not of much benefit to the 6500 and 6700.

Thanks for the feedback.

(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 647 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Mark, I don't believe it is supported. There is no reference to it in the manuals and I have never heard it mentioned here in the discussions.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Why do you think you need preselectors?

73. W9OY