Flex 6000 Radios.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I was thinking of getting one of these  but after reading about all of the problems I think I will stick with my Flex 3000. I have never seen so many people have so many problems using a radio like this latest and greatest radio. Seems Flex should have waited and got rid of all the bugs first before making us their Beta testers and not getting paid for it in some way. Just my two cents. I'm keeping my 3000 instead.
Photo of Ricky

Ricky

• 32 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Ricky,

I understand how you get to this conclusion from reading the Community.  Unfortunately folks are quicker to complain than praise and praise often goes unstated.  It's the nature of these online forums especially when the vocal minority use the forum as a soap box for their own complaints.

The end result blows things out of proportion.

I was a very happy Flex 5000 owner.  It was a great radio, helped me place well in a number of contests, was reliable and fun to operate.

I sold the 5000 in April last year - 5 months after FlexRadio came out with the first production release the SmartSDR software.  I have never regretted selling the 5000.  I am throughly delighted with my Flex 6700 and it beats any other radio hands down for my personal operating in DXing and Contesting.

As with PowerSDR, the software goes through an evolution process.  5 years ago, the FlexRadio email reflector looked a lot like this community today.  The vocal minority dominated the conversation with their complaints but overall, the software was very capable.  Of course, it got better... and better!

SmartSDR 1.3 has some short falls - but they are being taken care of.  SmartSDR 1.5 has the possibility of moving the goal posts a long way forward and I'm happy to wait for it.  In the meantime, the current software is robust and has helped me further improve my performance in contests.

I'm very happy.

I don't know where you are located - if you are in the SF Bay Area, let me know and I'd be delighted to host you to see the radio in operation.  No matter where you are, I'm sure you will find someone within reasonable distance who would do the same thing.

Try it!  You will be pleasantly surprised.

In the meantime, don't give in to the minority for they are just that - vocal as they may be, their views don't speak for everyone.

Stu K6TU
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 623 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I been an owner of Flex radios since the beginning and I loved them all.

I have owned all of the  Flex radios 1000,1500,3000 and two 5000.  Now I have a 6700.

Just like, N4TTY said, I am also sorry that you have been misled.  

I had a few bumps down the road. However, it was because I did not understand the instructions as simple as they are.

Plus, my limited knowledge of computers software and programming. I am an average self thought, and still learning user. 

When I have issues, I ask questions and 99.9% of the time it turns out to be; my misunderstanding of what Flex said to do.

I do not share the rest of your views.  

I bought my Flex-6700 the Monday after Dayton.  I had no idea what was in the box.  I was confident that Flex does what they promise.  

Flex told us that the software (SmartSDR) was being created.  This was major development: Since this was their product.  They made us aware and gave us the opportunity to wait until it was fully developed or we can choose to be part of the BETA testers.  

Guess what my friend. We chose to take the radio under those conditions.  So your "should have waited and got rid of all the bugs first before making us their Beta testers" is absurd and ignorant. 

Is your choice and money; next time consider who is feeding you negative advice before you castigate FlexRadio System.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.