Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 and PR-781 eq settings

Larry _ NY8T
Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
Looking for screen shots of your best 6000/PR-781 rag chew audio EQ settings. I would like to compare what I have to what others are using, I understand different voice characteristics and all. I am using the balanced port on my 6500. I have been using the included 3.2 khz essb profile, I get audio compliments but I think I can do better, lets see what you have.

By the way I searched and all I found is 1 year old posts and I believe the audio eq changed some what in the first 1.4 version of SSDR so I am looking for up to date settings samples.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    You started with the correct TX profile.  Now you need to listen to yourself while transmitting and adjust the EQ to match your voice characteristics.  You can do this by recording while you transmit and then play it back to hear how you sound.  The procedure for doing this in in the SmartSDR Software User's Guide.

Or listen to yourself on a different radio while transmitting with the RX filter as wide as possible.

I recommend reviewing this HD article on how to set an EQ too. 
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203853305-Rules-for-EQing-Voice-for-Optimal-Phone-O...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim has recommended some great articles and procedures.

Just for discussion, here are my DX & Rag chew profiles for a PR22, which has a frequency response very similar to a PR0781, perhaps with a little less bass.

You can record your own audio using the quick record function and play it back for analisys.

Also look at my article on using the FDX function to listen to your Transmitted signal using the Transverter output and another antenna on receive.  You can listen to yourself at very low power.  You can even port the audio over a DAC channel to an audio recording program such as Audacity and record several different samples.

Everyone has an opinion on this, so the the key is LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN to yourself.  You can also ZOOM your panadapter to show 3 KHz on about half the display and adjust your EQ until the pattern is that you want - fairly flat, with a slight rise at the articulation frequencies of 1-3 KHz.  (The display is so good that once you know what you want to sound like, and what it looks like when it does, you can match it to a visual pattern and make small adjustments by eye.)

There are several posts about adjusting the PR781.  Just beware that some of the older ones, some of mine included, were written before some changes were made in the response in the TX EQ bandwidth and 'Q' figures.  So your results may vary against some of the older posts.

Good luck and have fun.

Ken - NM9P

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have read everything available here and have been utilizing the Full Duplex mode to monitor my audio, works very well if I can get past the delay so I don't talk funny. I was just hoping to see a few up to date EQ screen shots for a comparison.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    For my 6500 with Heil PR22UT Mike:

Here is my Rag Chew Profile:

Here is my DX/Contesting Profile:

I thought I had loaded these in my last post.  Apparently they didn't load...

Ken - NM9P
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Larry,

I get great audio reports with the Flex default PR781-ESSB settings...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.