Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6000 amplifier delay

WB0O
WB0O Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Having problems with both my Alpha 9500 and ACOM 1500 along with my Flex 6500.
The ACOM 1500 was reporting ARC and Hot Switching error messages.

When I plugged in my Kenwood 990 to the same Amps,  all worked as it should.

I assume I need to add some delay in the TX setting?   

Anyone out there have a similar experience?

r/Mike
WB0O

Answers

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Same issues until I used BOTH keying lines, didn't need any delay. One of those two lines needs to be either active HIGH/LOW depending on your amp.

Lew
    N4CO
  • W0JD
    W0JD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The ACOM 600S wants a little delay to be happy, checking the Flex config I run 20ms.

Jay
    N0IAI

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Change the RF delay to 10 ms and increase from there ic needed. Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My Acom 1000 uses the default delay, of 20 or 25. Amp keying line is connected to TX1
  • WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lewis,  sorry,  I want to be sure I understand your reply.   What did you mean by saying use both keying lines?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't know about a 9500, but I do know that both Acom 1500 and Alpha 8410 have key in / key out lines. If you use both lines and setup your Flex, you can't hot switch as this will not allow rf from Flex until input/output relays are closed. This assumes you don't have some hardware issues. I had this problem with one of the early software releases and pulled my hair out until next release. I have run this (qrq ) at 100 wpm without issue. Lew N4CO
  • WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for the fast reply.  And just to be sure;  what 2 ports did you use on the back of your Flex for the Key In and Key Out from the Amp?   And again, you did not add any time delay correct?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tx req and any of the tx keying lines, just select one you're using. Tx req is either a high or low depending on amp requirement. If you're not sure, select one then disconnect the tx req line and see if Flex is passing rf, if not then you have selected proper value ( high/low ). Reconnect cable and you'll be ready for full high speed break in operation. I didn't find info in manual for Acom 1500 or Alpha 8410 as to high or low state. I don't use any delay and have no issues.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

See page 105 of the current SmartSDR Software Users Guide. TX REQ is an inhibit input from the amplifier.

Craig, KØCF

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lewis

Thank you, I accidently selected the correct highlow state the first time, later I broke it by messing with it. Maybe now I can get it working again. Your explanation makes a lot more sense than my vague methods. For some reason, I have difficulty leaving well enough alone.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• WB0O
    WB0O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Still trying with my ACOM 1500:  I have installed the 2 RCA cables, so now I also use the TX REQ connection on the Flex.  I have tried both Active Low and Active High.   I still get a Hot Switching Error.
    I have even tried putting in a 20ms delay, and still get a hot switching error.       I have no problem with the Amp and my Kenwood 990.   Any other ideas?
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If all works as it should with your 9500 ( I think you stated you had one ) and not the Acom, I would check all the phono jacks/plugs on the Acom.

I had a ACOM 600 ( new, not used ) that had a bad solder connection on one of the phono jacks. FWIW: I tried two new ACOM 600 and never did have any luck running qsk cw with them.

I had this problem with a early release of SSDR and never did get it working until I updated with new release. Never was able to put my finger on just what problem was, however hot switching never returned as issue. Search on hot switching might locate my prior posting. As I stated before, I can run either Alpha 8410 or Acom 1500 with Flex at speeds of 100 wpm, full power without issue.

I know it's a PITA, however you may want to save your profiles and remove and reload SSDR. Has you Flex ever worked with your amps ?

Good Luck
    Lew
    N4CO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.