Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 5000 will not key on CW - yeah, same one from a few weeks ago...

Lionel
Lionel Member ✭✭✭
A couple of weeks ago I posted about not being able to key the 5000 on CW though all other functions are fine.  I sent it to Austin and they tested and found that the input IC SN75468/ IC 27 was bad and it was replaced and the radio retested and was okay.  What about the DICE?  The I/O multiplier P5555 (or whatever with the INT signal). Not sure if it was tested using PSDR or some other I/O test but likely using standard FR protocol I guess.  

It arrived back here yesterday.  Same problem, cannot key the 5000 on CW (L or U).  All other functions, including CWX appear fine.   On CW MOX keys xmit relay, key input will not key RF section, no RF out.  

Here's some data:
open circuit voltage at key with TRS plug, 2.3 VDC on T and on R, key closed pulls it to 0 and about 1.2 Ma.  Same at plug.  
Have tried one three wire cable, one two wire cable, plain TRS at the jack and manually shorting tip to shield, or ring to shield.   Shield ground is good and tested versus chassis ground lug, less than 100 milli ohms.  

PTT works,  MOX works on AM, FM etc, appropriate RF output.  

Setup: Tried breakin on/off, iambic on/off, two wire checked/unchecked,  - What else is there to set up for CW? All setup per Owners' Manual, no joy.. 

This is PSDR 2.7.2.  Completely uninstalled and reinstalled.  Deleted old dB's and uninstalled PSDR and reinstalled from scratch. No joy.  

Flex Radio says the radio is up to date with latest firmware and hardware.  

OH....this radio was working fine two weeks ago on CW at 8 PM and then at 10 AM next day it wasn't.   No hardware or wiring changes in that time.  The radio and computer were off from evening until morning.  Antenna disconnected. 

I prefer CW, with a key, and now for all practical purposes my Flex is a 13 pound brick........

Can anyone in the community come up with anything that I may have missed?  

I am waiting for the tech who worked on it last week to call but since I have already spent most of the morning, afternoon, and last evening, redoing everything I can think of, what the heck, ask the community.  Maybe it is so incredibly obvious and I'm lost in the maze.  This is way too bizarre. 

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Lets us know what FRS says!

Perhaps all your testing will help them find a quick solution.

Good Luck & 73

Steve

K9ZW

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well I hope so. And maybe it's something I've done on the computer or setup side so **** that FRS will take my Flex away; UPS shows up with a warrant and takes my 5000.  

However, I don't know that they are working on any solution because they may not see the problem and I hate the idea of going inside looking at logic levels.  In fact I won't; way to risky for old eyes.  I fear FRS is overwhelmed with 6xxx's.  

Best guess for me is:

1. Intermittent cable
    2. Hairline **** in a trace 
    3. Bad solder joint that is intermittent
    4. Firmware error and issue with PSDR 2.7.2 (was my favorite-still on list though)

I'd be willing to flash firmware again, risky though it is, since right now it is a brick to me anyway.  

But, I think FRS has stopped communicating with me, or they are closed today.   I don't think I've been disrespectful to FRS or anyone there.   They have been very helpful and responsive until today, maybe really busy. I just want the 5000 to be other than a brick. 

Whatever I find out I will post. 
  • Ricky
    Ricky Member
    edited January 2015

I will be honest im having a problem as well. Every thing was working fine on my 3000 until I got the new version as well and it did a firmware update. Now it runs for about an hour or less then pan adapter starts lagging then freezes completely. Then restart the PSDR and its fine again for about the same time. I am going to guess there are a few bugs in the new software and firmware update that they are not aware of yet.

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My feeling is that it is somehow firmware related though I have been running 2.7.2 and firmware 2.1.3.9 for several months, as long as I have had the 5000.  I run W8.1 OS and of course that is always a concern but I don't see how the OS could be effecting the 5000 in this manner.  DPC are under 400, and besides on rx all is working fine.  

I have had a panadaptor freeze a few times but nothing that I could say is typical.  

I am making cables this morning to run the I/O test that I believe they run in the shop.  If it passes then I will post screen shots of setup tabs to see if someone comes up with an obvious user mistake.  
    Right now I feel FRS is so busy with 6xxx issues that legacy issues are moved to back burner.  Reading the mail on 6300 issues I think they must be overwhelmed, especially software. 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I/O Test run using BITE: CNTL-SHFT P coomand from PSDR using cable from TX1 and TX 2 open collector (outputs from IC27) to 1/4" TRS plug into key jack. 

Dot PASSED
    Dash PASSED

This is what service reported with pre-ship QC.   

Next I will verify that the factory default dB is loaded and setup for keyer is on different attempts 2 wire and then 3 wire iambic and not iambic.  

Then if I can get someone (preferably FRS) to look at the dB setup to verify that it is okay.  If it is, then we have one of the four issues, or maybe a fifth with some other IC failed (I/O expander or DICE perhaps).  I don't know how to test the fifth possibility. 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    attached are test notes from few minutes ago.  CW transmit tests failed.   (I/O test of dot dash passed). Link is to my OneDrive and the file.  

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=71ADFA4834032A5A!20937&authkey=!AI-9ZkJhZZG_RDg&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Screen shot that goes with the test notes
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Test notes as a jpg, just in case.

I have the dB in use at the time exported and saved.  Who do I send it to??  
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dudley, honestly I do not know what to do next with this.  I do not believe that your test jig tested other than the dot-dash I/O test, which if true seems like a protocol error.   

Would you or someone at FRS do me the courtesy of a call (713-890-2359) or an e-mail to help work this out?  

As you can see, I hope, I am doing my homework.  
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

dot-dash I/O test cable. Red to TIP, Yellow to RING, grounds connected through sleeve. 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Solution; RMA. FRS thinks hardware.  I'm anxious to see what hardware.  
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Lionel:

You are doing a great job of documenting your issues.  Screen shots and details about your configuration are always helpful.

I see that you are frustrated that Flex is not communicating with you during the last 24 hours or so.  I can't tell from your profile where you are located.  This is a big 3-day end of summer holiday weekend in the USA.  I'm sure Dudley will get back to you after work resumes next Tuesday.

I am primarily a FLEX-6700 user these days.  However, I'll wake up my FLEX-5000A this afternoon and go through your settings to see if I notice anything.  I'll give you a call if I notice anything.

Good luck.

Reg

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.