Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flex 3000 or a yaesu ftdx 3000

i need to deside witch radio a flex 3000 or a yaesu ftdx 3000 pls advice

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I've got the Flex-3000, Martijn. I can recommend this TRX, which you can get used, as it is not in production anymore. You either need a firewire card for your PC or a compatible notebook, as the Toughbook CF-52 or GETAC S400. If you can live with the limitations (firewire, 192kHz maximum sample rate=170kHz maximum waterfall bandwidth with KE9NS software and that the signal is processed by the PC) this is a very good and reliable TRX which I use on fielddays and for EMCOMM. It runs for hours at maximum power and with modes like JT65, JT9, FT8, RTTY and PACTOR without getting too hot and it still fits under a notebook.
    If you want a knob, you can easily get a FlexControl.

You can get used Flex-3000's for abou 800 to 1000€, if you can get one. The market is almost empty
    as many OM found that the older FlexRadios are very good for transverter work forthe GHz bands.

You can get a lot of information and the newest PowerSDR on KE9NS's website: http://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html

If money is not the limiting factor I would recommend the Flex-6400 or 6600.

I don't own a FTDX3000 and can't compare the two TRX, but I would always buy a FlexRadio as a SDR TRX is much more flexible for digital modes and I need the waterfall ;-)

Hope this helps a bit. Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The Flex 3000 when I compared using  against as FTDX 3000 was a better receiver, more quite and much less fatiguing to listen to for hours, this is based on comparing my Flex 3000 with another members FTDX 3000 on 2 separate field day events, also the filtering on the Flex 3000 is better, I had my Flex 3000 for 9 years never had an issues, great rig and price versus performance is an outstanding rig. I recently upgraded to a 6400. and as Alex pointed out Darrin's KE9NS updated software for the older models is excellent and provides many options esp for DX. 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Since this is a Flex forum I expect you will not get any responses choosing the Yaesu over Flex.

The Flex allows you to do digital modes without need for additional hardware. Much more Flexible with filter settings, AGC, etc.

Last, check out the KE9NS PowerSDR software that runs on the Flex 3000. If that doesn't convince you then nothing will :-)
    https://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html

Dave wo2x

• Martijn Verhoef
    edited September 2018
    so the flex3000 in the shack works fine onle downside slow atu end noise reduction
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    That sounds great, I am using my 3000 here right now, I give it a workout once in a while giving my 6500 a break.
    I'm sure you will come to enjoy all the advantages the 3000 gives you as you learn more and more. Enjoy.
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2018
    The Noise Reduction with the Flex 3000 takes place in PowerSDR. And from my experience with PSDR, works quite well. Also, the Automatic Notch Filter works well in PSDR.( better, at the moment, than the one in SmartSDR......in my opinion) The FTDX 3000, is a good radio too. But if you are wanting a true SDR radio, of the two you are asking about, the Flex 3000, is the only real SDR radio. It's dated technology, but, if you can find a good deal on one, withe the Firewire card and cable, you'll have a good radio. Personally, I never use the internal ATU, with my antenna system, I need an ATU with a broader matching range. (live in the city on a small lot now. No towers and beams for me!) Good luck on whichever you choose. Both are good radios. James WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.