Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 1500 output way down

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
I was transmitting into a dummy load after I installed the latest NE9NS software when the output dropped from 4.5 watts out to 0.03 watts out Using a LP-100A.  I am going to guess the final is probably shot.  I have had this radio from the very beginning.  Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Don - kx9q

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    After running some tests requested by tech support, it was decided that it was a hardware issue so off the 1500 went to Flex.  Hopefully they still have whatever parts will be required to repair the radio.

Don - kx9q
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sorry to hear about ur situation Don. Just curious if FRS told you what the lead time would be before they can get to look at ur radio ?  I know with this Virus going on things must be pretty hectic over there !
    Good luck & hopefully it will be a simple fix ! 
    73 Vidas
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was told 2-4 weeks and that will depend a lot on availability of parts.  I am thinking it was the final that went out but who knows. Their charge is $99 per hour plus parts which is reasonable.

Don - kx9q
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Wonder why it pooped out from just upgrading ? I have 5K and use KE9NS's software and just LOVE all the bells & whistles that Darrin  added !!!
    Last year I broke down and got the 6600 and wish he would add a few things to that to ! My 6600 just developed some problems so looks like I will have to send it in for repair. SURE glad I still have my 5K. I could last couple days without Flex but any longer I would go nuts hi hi
    Keep us posted what they find out what the problem is.
    Good luck & 73 Vidas

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I had been running KE9NS's software for quite some time so no not the cause.  I also have the 6700 which I got when they first came out - Limited Edition version.  I will post when I find out.

73  Don - kx9q
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The flex 1500 is on its way back.  I was told it needed to be re-calibrated.  It was recalibrated and tested.  Strange a re-calibration, however, I am the original owner and it is 10 years old so i guess aging may have brought about the need to re-calibrate. By the way Flex outsources the legacy radios to a third party. 

Don - kx9q
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Don,
    Is "recalibration" something we could do?
    Or is there some secret hocus pocus?
    I have recalibrated Yaesu and Kenwood radios with the help of the service manual.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Here was the response as I asked the question: "As far as calibration, you can do some of it but a full calibration requires a special test set that talks to the software. There is also some loop back cables to test ports. All in all, its best to do it on a bench made for calibration,".

Don  kx9q
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    After thinking for a bit, My 5K was working fine and after doing an upgrade the output power on 6M dropped to about 20W max from 100W. I downgraded back but no help. I CANNOT say one way or the other as what caused the problem. I have an ARRAY SOLUTIONS power meter that is needed for the 5K to do the amplifier bias and power settings. Unfortunately you need their old one which after a long search there were none available ANYWHERE ! I called up Array Solutions and was able to get an old one that was in Jay's office and they said they will check it out to make sure it works and if it passes all test they will sell it to me. Apparently you can ONLY do the RF alignment with the older 1 version. They changed something in the way it communicates, added line feed or something but I am way too dumb to re write the newer power meters driver to emulate it like the older one. I know theirs software geeks out there that can probably do it while sleeping lol Powersdr has a built in calibration routine if you do the secret moose handshake and wiggle ur left toe. Have no clue if you can the same on the 1500 ??? WARNING, if u do get into the settings you take a risk of really hosing the radio unless u know what ur doing. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.