FLEX-1500 on an Apple iMac

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there! I just won a FLEX-1500 SDR and I have a Apple iMac. The software that came with the radio is for PC. I want to know if I will be able to use this radio on my iMac.
Thanks
Photo of Sandi

Sandi

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Pat

Pat

• 34 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
unfortunetly i think no........
73's
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Yes you can. I use a Mac-mini. but you need to install parallels so you can run windows on your mac. You can run OS-X and windows at the same time if you use one of the VM programs. I use Parallels and it work marvelously!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1350 Posts
  • 503 Reply Likes
You could try it under VMWare fusion with a windows guest.

Parallels is the direct competitor to VMWare fusion.  I use fusion after having used both for many years.  The support at fusion is far superior in my opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of Scott - WM7C

Scott - WM7C

• 42 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
VirtualBox works as well, but you do need a copy of Windows.  You can also install Windows on your Mac using Bootcamp and run Windows natively without virtualization.  
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Official Response
We do not support PowerSDR running in a virtualized environment.  The added latency overhead plays havoc on the 1500 when transmitting.  For Mac hardware, running Bootcamp is the only viable option.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Sandi, congratulations on your win! May it give you many hours of fun and enjoyment.
Photo of Sandi

Sandi

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate everything you all have sent. I think the best way for me to go is to let my husband put it on his PC. Of course with the understanding that I am just letting him borrow it for an extended period of time!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.