Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flex 1500 low power 17m, why?

Options
ik5sre
ik5sre Member
edited September 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Hello,
i have a flex 1500,the power is more or less 5 watts output on all hf bands but  when i try to use it on 17m the power is very low,0.5 watts. The power drive is at 100% . A friend of mine ,with flex 1500, has the same problem testing with a dummy load. I working with powersdr 2.7.2 .
It's a software bug?
Thank you
73's de IK5SRE Frank

Answers

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have the same problem on 160m with 30w maximum. Other bands are ok. I will have to send it in for repairs but that will be some time next year as I am a pensioner.
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I just checked my Flex1500 on 17 meters into a dummy load. I get a full 5 watts out
    Keith
    W7ZAC
  • ik5sre
    ik5sre Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thank you for replies
  • ik5sre
    ik5sre Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Keith,your software is powerSDR 2.7.2 ?
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Check your power out into a dummy load as W7ZAC has done...see above comment. Antennas can cause funny problems causing high SWR.
  • ik5sre
    ik5sre Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    i dont' have dummy load at the moment but with a yaesu ft 450d i have 5 watt output regular and not swr in the same freq. .
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    1.  Check to see that you are running the current version of PowerSDR

2.  In the absence of a dummy load, use a low wattage light bulb as a dummy load.  Try the light bulb on 20 meters first to make sure that the 1500 will put RF into the bulb.  Then, if the radio shows output, switch to 17 meters.  A 220V bulb should work fine.  For my high power radios I use a 100 to 125 watt bulb, for my low power radio I use a 40 watt bulb.

While there are better ways to make a dummy load, this should work if nothing else is available. These bulbs will not light.

You can also use a  12V or 24V automotive bulb.  Make sure the wattage is greater than 5 watts. The bulb should light somewhat with a 10w bulb.

I am sure that readers on the list will critisize me heavily for suggesting this; but, I have used this technique for many years when I don't have a dummy load available.

• ik5sre
    ik5sre Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thank you for info.

• ik5sre
    ik5sre Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi today i done a new test with dummy load,0,5 watts on 17 meters and  5 watts on all others hf bands.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Contact your dealer where you bought it for help. or open a help ticket with Flex.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.