Flex 1500 keying problems

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Starting at Field Day, my Flex 1500 has had problems with CW keying. Sometimes it won't key at all, sometimes it keys itself even without the key plugged in. I re-heated the connections on the plug tonight but that didn't make any difference. I think it's mechanical, it might be internal to the plug because I can sometimes put a little pressure on one side of the plug or the other and get it to either unkey or to let my keyer start working. I've reset the database and it's behaving the same on 2 different computers. I didn't get to use it at all at FD because it wouldn't key successfully. Does anybody have any ideas of what else I can check?  I bought my first 1500 new but I got this 2nd one used and it looks like the key and headphone jacks are both a little bit corroded, that might be related.
Photo of Kerry Miller

Kerry Miller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rick

Rick

• 158 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Sounds like the plug may not quite be compatible. This has happened to me before as not all plugs and jacks are designed the same unfortunately. I've even experienced a situation when buying some 1/8" jacks and plugs at Radio Shack and found they didn't mechanically match properly!! I couldn't believe it, but I guess I shouldn't expect much more from RS! I'd try a different brand plug.
Rick w2jaz
Photo of Kerry Miller

Kerry Miller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't think it's the size of the plug, it even does it with nothing plugged in if I turn on break-in sometimes.  I can also sometimes plug in my key and wiggle the plug to make it unkey.  Just in case, I'll try a different plug, the one I was using this last time was a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Tnx,
Kerry, WD5ABC
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 158 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I've found some of those adapters to be flaky on my 6300. Rick w2jaz