Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fldigi Split Operation

Can someone point me to a current tutorial on operating fldigi split with the two .XML files Tim created? I've searched and can't find anything current. I'm running 3-23.01 on my Windows 10 machine and my 6500 with latest ssdr. Prior to the two .XML files (slice-A and slice-B), I was able to work split, but I'm unclear on how to do it now. It would seem we need two instances of fldigi running, each referencing their own .XML file for their respective slices? Is that how it works now for split?

thx

Brad

Answers

• Barry-W4TGA
    Barry-W4TGA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Not exactly a tutorial.  But what I did was download and copy both .XML files to my desktop.  I named them A-SmartSDR.xml and B-Smart
    sdr.xml.  Then went into FLDigi Configure/Rig Control/RigCAT and "open"ed the file for "A".  Saved that and it works.  I generally use slice A for data as I have a 6300 and use the B slice for voice.  That way I can have both slices operational on two different modes.

I also set up the DAX for channel 1 both audio and DAXIQ.  I copied the radio Serial Port number from the info on the SmartSDR CAT screen and it worked from there.

I also have the B slice XML file in case I want to use that channel on my radio in place of the A slice.

Hope that helps until someone comes along with a more responsive answer.

Barry
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Here are the updates you can manually edit until the FLDigi sites gets updated.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/fldigi-rigcat-files-need-updated-for-rtty-mode
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    It is really simple.  Slice A and Slice B.XML files are for SO2R where you are running two instances of Fldigi and loading seperate databases (this is explained in the Fldigi doc).

To operate Split in digital modes, you should use XIT for the transmit offset.  However, this may not be necessary in the near future (and that is all I am going to say about that)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tease!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes!  Especially since the RIT/XIT range was expanded to something like 99 KHz, it is a simple matter on CW, RTTY or SSB to dial in any split you want.  The new RTTY mode makes this a lead pipe cinch.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

Good time to ask as I have not seen this elsewhere. Is the value in XIT/RIT in cycles? IE would 1500 be an offset of 1.5 KHZ?    This would seem to be an easy way to run split on CW or SSB if you don't want to monitor your transmit frequency.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes...  +1000 = "UP 1".  5000 = "UP 5"  etc.....And Yes, I do splits on CW, RTTY & SSB a lot that way, unless I need to listen to the "scrum" in order to help pick a transmit frequency or time my transmissions in between the calling of the mob. In that case, I open a 2nd slice.  Usually, however, the visual cue is all that I need and using XIT is sufficient.
  • James Del Principe
    edited October 2015
    Thanks, Ken. I did try that last night into a dummy load with various offsets but did not see the xmit frequency change, either in the display or the slice flag. Thanks why I was not sure.   Appreciate the fast, accurate reply. 73, Jim
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited October 2015
    Thx. Tim commented on that link that the FLDigi site has been updated.
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited October 2015

A reminder for me to apply Occams Razor :-)

brad

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    James - the slice frequency display will not change when using X/RIT.  You do not want it to; you want the frequencies to be offset from the slice.

When you enable XIT, you will see the red TX filter displayed and as you change the offset, the filter will shift.  If you are in RTTY mode, it will actually display the mark and space lines.  XIT works, you will have to listen to the transmitted signal in a 2nd receiver to hear the frequency shift.

• James Del Principe
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I thought during transmit that I could see the changes in frequency on the slice flag but that is fine. As long as I know what the proper indication is I have no problem.    As Always 73, Jim
  • Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi all
    I am coming back on the split setup for Fldigi on a Flex 6500.

I want to have one instance of Fldigi on the DX's frequency (that should be locked so I don't loose him), and the other instance on the pile up where I can navigate both in receive (to try and find the station being worked by the DX) and in transmit.

I have configured one instance of Fldigi for slice A, and it works fine on its own
    I have configured another instance of Fldigi for slice B and it works fine on its own

When I open both instances simultaneously, they each show the correct frequency in the frequency "box" of Fldigi, BUT the waterfall is the same on both instances.
    To explain better, I'll take that example : my slice A is on 24920 and my slice B is on 24925.
    But both waterfalls on Fldigi are the same, and show the same signal on the same offset frequency.
    What I am doing wrong, or missing ?

Thanks
    Paul F6EXV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.