Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fldigi hardware PTT

MikeColonna
MikeColonna Member
edited November 2023 in Third-Party Software
hi All,

I been through the forum and tried many option but still having a issue getting Fldigi hardware PPT working. everything else is working find.

so here what I have:
  • Fldigi 3.22.05.
  • SSDR 1.4.3.
  • Windows 8.1.
I have setup up a com port for PTT with RTS selected.
In Fldigi I have hardware PPT selected with my new comport (lower number).
(see below for all settings sections)

Whats happening is, the radio is keying but no tone is being transmitted..
(Mode is CW).

RTTY and PSK ( and other digital modes ) through DAX is working great. Got my logging software Log4OM  working well also. This is my last piece. :-)

imageimageimage

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Are you using the radio in CW mode? That would probably block AFSK tones from Fl-Digi. Try setting up a DIGU slice with a nice narrow filter and save it as a Profile to use in CW.
  • MikeColonna
    MikeColonna Member
    edited February 2019
    Hi George,
    Yes I'm am using CW,  Okay I switch to DIGU mode set up a filter up and saved it, switch back to CW and selected that transmit profile but the the same thing the radio keys but no tone. however in DIGU mode the radio does key and tone is sent. was I to stay in DIGU mode for CW?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    CW mode is only for CW.  If you want digi modes, including RTTY (at least until they deliver an FSK capability), you need to use DIGU for FLdigi.  (DIGL for MMTTY).  You're sending audio tones and CW mode does not support that.  (I've actually accidentally used USB mode and it's worked, but I try not to do that!)
  • MikeColonna
    MikeColonna Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi Duane, Okay I now understand, thank you..

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, when you switch modes to CW, the audio inputs are disconnected.
  • MikeColonna
    MikeColonna Member
    edited April 2015
    Just out of curiosity how do people key the radio in CW mode (contesting for example )is it even possible. With my old radio I used a rigblaster pro. so I'm thinking a external keyer.. for now I'm just going to use my paddle. Lol thank you for your help.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike, I haven't tried contest software keying, but I believe it's done by assigning RTS to one of the COM Ports created in the CAT app.  One of the nice things in the later releases if you're using a paddle connected directly to the rig is that you can set up CWX memories and speeds, and that speed is sync'ed with the non-CWX keyer.  So, only one speed setting to control.  I've also found in 1.4.3 that the CWX doesn't even have to be selected to use the F-keys to send those messages!  Nice!
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    Vincent Martin - N5ATM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am now grappling with this same issue and just found this thread.  I use com 1 with a w3yy (http://w3yy.com/fsk.htm) interface.  With the radio in CW mode and the program CWTYPE this works just fine, so I know it's not an issue with SmartSDR, com port or interface.

When I use Fldigi and the radio in CW mode however, I get the same result as Mike.  Why would fldigi care what mode the radio is in?  Does it not have the capability to send CW via the com port like directly like programs such as CWTYPE?

I guess what I'm really asking is.  Is this a problem with fldigi and SmartSDR or is this just simply a problem with or limitation of Flidig?  Thanks for your input.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have written a new tutorial which you can find on this forum. Fldigi has been developed quite a bit. Be sure to install the newest version and the new SmartSDR xml files for RigCat. PTT works like a charm. 73, Alex DH2ID
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    edited October 2015
    Hi Alex,

PTT is not the issue.  CW via com port in CW mode is the issue.  Apparently FLDIGI does not support this.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    For your convenience, the Fldigi How To by Alex is available via the HelpDesk
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204954466-Setting-up-Fldigi-with-SmartSDR
  • Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    edited December 2016
    Confirmed by Dave, the author, Fldigi does not support com port keying for CW or FSK and he has no plans to add the functionality.  Sad news.  However, the software is open source and we are free to modify it as necessary.  If only I were a programmer.  :)
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/html/cw_configuration_page.html

fldigi CW keying is quite good, but I use a ZLP Electronics CW Keyer with HRD DM780 or Log4OM Winkeyer mode.

• Vincent Martin - N5ATM
    edited March 2017
    Alex, your message is confusing.  Fldigi does not do CW/FSK keying via the com port. 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, I didn't want to confuse.

To clarify: fldigi uses a CAT command for PTT in my setup.
    SmartSDR mode set to DIGU. CW settings can only be used with a
    Winkeyer or directly with a key or a paddle.

It would be great if flwkey could be integrated into fldigi, a Winkeyer
    is a great asset for CW.
  • ds1sku
    ds1sku Member
    edited November 2023
    I use IC-7300 and RTS for PTT.
    Looking at the pictures above, you only need to do two things.

1) Commands are echoed. Check.
    2) Toggle RTS for PTT. Check.

DS1SKU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.