Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLdigi freezing SmartSDR

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
Normally I use N1MM for RTTY and it works perfectly, but a couple of days ago I tried Fldigi, it worked well, but this morning in the middle of contacts it freezes Smartsdr (ver !.4.11) SmartSDR comes to life again after 10 or 20seconds. Embarrasing!!
I have checked other programs and they dont freeze Smart SDR. I have a logging program running as well, but that is also running with the other programs I have checked so it is not the problem.
The computer is a new i7 with lots of memory.
Ideas please as to why this should happen suddenly, and just with Fdigi.
Thanks
Ross ZL1WN
ps: My 6500 rocks its a fun rig.

Answers

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I use FLDigi with my F6700. I have no problems and have made many PSK contacts without issue. I have found, however, that many of the background tasks that run under windows can cause strange and not-so-wonderful problems during regular operation of the F6700. What I did was look at the services that were running and remove the ones that were not absolutely necessary. This seemed to solve intermittent problems.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited July 2017
    No problem with my 6500/SmartSDR& FLDigi. My new logger,Log4OM talking to Fldigi, problem was with Log4OM freezing.

Started loading of Log4OM "as administrator" seems to have fixed that although Log4OM says don't do that. ok, then FLdigi configured as TS480, it works, CAT, Logging, etc.Log4OM says do not use the TS480 configuration, use rpc-xml. Nope, not here, gotta use TS-480.

Then it started acting up with no log transfer. 
    In desperation I ran the Win7 command prompt and did a file scan and got a Corrupt file We can't fix it error. To make an extremely long story short, I found out that the Windows update # KB3022345 was giving me the integrity error. I removed KB3022345 ran another scan and all was well.
    Please note that today Microsofts' up-date included KB3068708 which is an updated KB3022345.
    I elected not to install that.

I am not a computer guru and had to muddle through numerous Google searches learning about the error. Finally on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ did I find my answer.

So far today, after about 8 hours of operation no freezes to my log/FLdigi/Smart SDR/Flex 6500 combo.

This is just my experience and is not a bash on FLdigi or Log4OM logger, it works now and I like it a lot.
    Like K2CM said about the background stuff, strange and not-so-wonderful.
    Is the update removal, run as Administrator, Ts480 config tied in together?? I absolutly do not know.
    Good luck and hope you find something.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Ross - are both the radio and PC client connected to a wired network or is one (or both) connections wireless?
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks all for replying, Tim,  everything is a physical connection, ie between the computer and the 6500. Your question is relevant though as the other night I tried a laptop with a wireless connection to the computer, it worked but only very very marginally.
    Chuck I think your comment about the Windows update may be correct, as when I think about it, the problem only started after an update yesterday. I have removed the latest update and so far fldigi seems to work again. I will have a better result tomorrow morning when Europe opens up on RTTY.
    Thanks all
    Ross
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited November 2016
    Hope it continues to work Ross.  I see first this morning that MS has told me that update KB3068708 is available, the same one (but updated) that gave me the trouble in the first place.
    I elected today not to install it. But I guess MS will continue to bug me about it.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to discern why that particular update would cause a freeze in a program.  I did inform the Log4OM author about it also.

Chuck

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the feedback.

If the freezes are less than 15 seconds and SmartSDR recovers on its own without displaying a disconnect message, then I suspect this behavior is related to a software defect in SmartSDR that should be addressed in the next release of SmartSDR.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited November 2016
    My freeze troubles (not on SmartSDR) were only recoverable by using the task manager to close the affected program and restart just that program, i.e. Log4OM.

Chuck

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am wired direct with many core / hi-speed Cores and a lot of memory (turned off swapping in fact) and not seeing hangs.  As pointed out wireless connection to "the box" is a different story, although I am wireless to internet.  Seems you slew the bug,  

Will we be independent of this hang come Independence Day ?

:-)

k3Tim/6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.