Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fldigi and 6300

Need help setting up fldigi and my 6300.  Followed directions on youtube to no avail.  I am able to decode just fine, but unable to transmit for some reason.

Running Windows 8.1 , Fldigi 3.22.10 , and Smart SDR 1.4.3

Answers

• Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    following
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does transmitter key?

The DAX XMIT must be enabled for the DAX channel being used.

Please also check the DAX menu to verify the "tones" are being sent to the DAX Xmit channel.  When Xmt is keyed and Fldigi is setup properly, the DaX xmt channel will show the audio level.

k3Tim
  • Erich Lucas
    Erich Lucas Member
    edited June 2015

K3Tim,

The transmitter does not key.

I do see tones in the DAX Control panel in the TX window.  the TX  is red  so it is selected.

NA3E

• Erich Lucas
    Erich Lucas Member
    edited June 2015

I can manually press the MOX button on the SDR, the Transmitter keys and my tones are transmitted.  for some reason it just wont do it automatically.  Or at least I must be missing something.

NA3E

Erich

• Erich Lucas
    Erich Lucas Member
    edited June 2015

I think I just figured it out.......

Dummy me,  I had to turn on my VOX

I knew it was something simple.

Erich

NA3E

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    As a reference, it can also be done by adding a PTT COM (RTS) port in SmartSDR CAT and then setting up FLDigi for Hardware PTT to use that RTS COMM port.
  • Erich Lucas
    Erich Lucas Member
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the help.  Just made my 1st PSK31 qso.

73's Erich

NA3E

• Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    so this thread inspired me to try fldigi out. I have it setup and decoding and when I transmit the light on the flex turns red but the transmit meters don't move in DAX config and smart sdr panel. In Dax panel it says transmitting but the meter shows no life. Plus I'mimage not getting any responses...so im pretty sure its not getting out.....anything I should check?
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
  • Erich Lucas
    Erich Lucas Member
    edited June 2015
    Luke, I followed the directions on the YouTube video to a T. Only thing I didn't do is click the VOX button. Did you tap the TX button in the DAX window next to the #1 channel? The TX needs to be red. Erich
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    hoping these screencaps will show the problem

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    And in the P/CW window of your screen - I notice that the box to the right of PROC is grey - click on that to make sure it is showing in BLUE.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thats the box that says  DAX 

• Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Ok I checked the DAX box...still no luck
  • Luke Reynolds
    Luke Reynolds Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Tried to video the problem

https://youtu.be/tvwxmiLBN4E

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The only other thing I can think of is to confirm that under FLDigi, you have the soundcard (Audio / Devices) Tab selected to match the DAX channel you are using - I use DAX one, so my Capture tab is drop-down selected to "DAX Audio RX1(DAX RX AUDIO) and the Playback  tab is drop-down selected to "DAX Audio TX 1(DAX TX Audio)

And then confirm that the DAX box in the receiver slice panel in the middle of the screen is selected to  Channel 1.

Not sure where else to have you look.  Hope that helps.

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Oh - the picture is blurry here but did you select the "Use RTS" on the Hardware PTT screen that you show above ?  I tried to see it but I do not see anything checked.  But it could be just poor resolution of the picture on my display

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Also need to check the "Use separate serial port PTT" in the hardware PTT screen that you showed up above - again, I cannot see if its checked or not so I will mention it.

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I agree. It appears that tx audio from the computer is not showing up on the dax channel meter. Ensure that dax audio TX 1 is selected in your computer. Access via double clicking speaker icon and ensure that the same is selected w/in fldigi.

FLdigi is generating the tones but they are being played through your computer's speakers and not being sent to dax audio tx 1.

You can hear the tones being generated by fldigi when dax audio TX 1 is selected, but you have to have "mon" enabled on your flex which you do not. You are hearing them now w/o monitor selected on your flex because they are going to your computer's speaker.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    WRT PTT I use cat/soundcard enabled PTT which you can enable via the fldigi "rig cat" tab. For CAT control of your flex download smart sdr slice A from http://www.w1hkj.com/xmlarchives.html
    and place it into a file or just leave it in your download section. On the fldigi rig cat tab select that same file so fldigi buttons can now control your flex. 

Even w/o doing the above, your flex should transmit via the vox as long as the computer generated tones are being sent to dax audio tx 1. It is nice to have the PTT feature (via either software or hardware) because at very low audio tx levels as selected by the tx slider in the dax control window your flex will still transit via  PTT. If you are relying solely on vox to transmit your flex, those same low audio tx levels may not be sufficient to trip the vox.

Not a big issue unless you are into milliwatting with the digital modes which can be quite fun and interesting to see your station"s results on psk reporter @ QRPp levels of tx power. The efficiency of the various digital modes varies between modes and I have found that jt65 is more efficient than jt9 wrt tx range @ milliwatt power levels which seems odd because I have read that jt9 is supposed to be more efficient. I could have read wrong though.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The DAX button is not clicked next to the Mic input on the right hand side panel.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can investigate further.
  • Anthony Shaver
    edited November 2015
    Mike -  Having the same problem you are having.  Not sure if this will help or not.
    rf power set to 25 watts
    mon: enabled 90 %
    vox; enabled 50 %
    It is working for me now.  Hope this works.  Lee S.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.