Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flashing red power switch

Roger G3LDI
Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have just received my new Flex 6600. Switched it on with a green flashing light on the power switch. This turned into a flashing red light, like a letter O and despite loads of attempts, that is how it remains. Any ideas? 73 de Roger, G3LDI

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    How many times is it flashing? If you count the flashes and look in the hardware manual it will tell you what the fault is.

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am guessing the letter O means three?
    One red flash: Fan malfunction
    • Two red flashes: Software crash
    • Three red flashes: Boot failure
    I get Two guaranteed every time I go on CW at over 80 watts and don't hit the ATU no matter what the SWR is prior to hitting the ATU.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The OP stated it flashed "like a letter O" so that would be 3 flashes and according to previously posted information, that indicates a boot failure.  Time to open a Help Desk ticket.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Roger, have tried a cold reboot? I have a 6700 so the procedure is probably different, but it will be in the manual. Something like holding the power switch until the rig shuts down completely, remove power for 60 seconds, replace power and turn the rig back on Otherwise, as Greg mentioned, time to open a Help Desk ticket Good luck Winston
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Try disconnecting power cord from the radio 20 seconds then plug it back in and try again.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I guess I skipped a couple of critical points.  Yes, a complete power disconnect for 20-30 seconds, then reconnect and restart.  A factory reset can also be tried.  If all that fails, go to the Help Desk!
  • Hunter - K3IE
    Hunter - K3IE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Roger,

I have the same symptom with my recently delivered 6600 - opened a Help Desk ticket this afternoon.

Were you able to resolve the issue in the field or did you have  to send it back to Flex?

- Hunter K3IE
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have same problem today. Red light flashing three times. Reset mane times - nothing. Any idea?
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Did you remove power for 10-15 seconds (disconnect the Power Pole connector to be sure), then replace power, and then press the power button to initiate a normal startup?  If that does not work, then a help desk ticket is indicated.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Try removing the network cable and restart the radio.
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes, many times - same result. Flex turned ON, show Flax 6600m on scree, after thet red light start flashing. “please wait “ on screen.....
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes sir, I did (
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    If you are able to get the radio to start again try to configure the radio to use a static IP address. There have been issues with the radio having issues starting when using DHCP addresses.
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Even without network cable I cannot start radio
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As mention, can you set a static Ip address and try?
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No, because radio did not turn ON. Or I missed somewhere?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think you can set the static address in the router? I am saying this because a few other were having problem like this and they had to set to staic address.
  • N2TTA
    N2TTA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I was ship radio to Flex service.... get back in a week. All working good now
  • Hiram Vazquez
    Hiram Vazquez Member ✭✭
    if you reset the static address on the router will it affect the way it receives the internet?
  • Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

I have just raised a help deck ticket for a similar sort of problem. I can get SmartSDR for Mac to work ONLY if I disconnect the ethernet cable first, then boot up the 6600M, and then plug in the cable afterwards. At least I can boot up the rig and work the DX still!!

By the way, I have not touched my internet router so I do not see how the IP address or DCHP can change of it’s own accord.

Check out my report on Flex Signature Series category.

Regards. Mike G4GWH.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

This old thread saved my anxiety. Just arrived 6600 booted fine but after a few minutes I got the 3 red flashes . Removing the power cable for 20 seconds appears to have solved the issue...

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Mike Steventon

To help you out, we really need some more details on how your network is configured. What is the IP address of the radio, the computer, etc.

Even though you have not touched your router, things are still subject to change within the DHCP services. Don't assume it hasn't changed without confirming it just to be sure.

• ac1bc
    ac1bc Member
    I received my new radio yesterday, had the same issue today. It wouldn't boot with the network cable attached: eventually the power button would flash red 3 times in a row. I disconnected the network cable and got it to boot, then I set a static IP. Upon reboot, it booted to 3 red flashes again. I removed the network cable and was able to boot, reconnected the cable once I saw the solid green, and connected via the static IP.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This needs to be handled by our support team. You'll need to follow up with them.

• K4RLC
    K4RLC Member
    New problem in 6400. Try to shut it down, and just get an Orange Power button. If I hold it down, it turns into Red, blinking 6 times. I have to remove all power, including Pwr pole connectors to pwr supply. Then, I can start as usual for past several months. Can't find anything about 6 flashes, either Orange or Red. Appreciate any suggestions. TIA
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

From the Flex 6400 and Flex 6600 Hardware Reference Manual:

Error Conditions

Certain hardware and software error conditions cause the radio to stop operating and display an error code by flashing the Power button light as follows:

• One red flash: Fan malfunction

• Two red flashes: Software crash

• Three red flashes: Boot failure

• Four red flashes: Input power over voltage

• Five red flashes: CPU overcurrent

• Six red flashes: Input power under voltage

In the case of a software crash, the error code repeats for about 15 seconds, then the radio will reboot. In the other cases, the error code repeats until the Power button is pressed, then the radio shuts down. An additional press of the Power button is needed to restart the radio

• Mike-VA3MW

6 Flashes is bad 12DC power. Make sure all cables are secure and that your power supply is putting out about 13.8VDC.

• K4RLC
    K4RLC Member
    Mike & Len - Tnx. Have an adjustable pwr supply with vague analog meter, so bit of a guess. Does the Flex record/display input power ? Have a few rigs that will show input pwr level. Increased output pwr of supply & fixed problem Red Flash problem. TIA Bob K4RLC
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Try using FRStack. It has a meter display that will show you voltage at radio. Check on RX then with 100 watt carrier in tune mode. If you see a significant drop between RX and 100 watt TX the. Investigate your cable connections or internal fuse socket in radio.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW

@k4rlc - If you have a multimeter, you should measure the power at the power supply and at the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.