Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fkex USB port or computer USB or RS-232 between Flex-6500 and Expert 1.3K-FA

Lewis Cheek
Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Anyone using USB port and FTDI cable to connect and control 1.3K-FA? Have NOT attempted to construct 9 pin to 15 pin adapter cable just yet, a project for tomorrow. However, should I just use DDUTIL and use either a standard ( mother board ) 9 pin rs232 or use signal out of Flex.

My goal is to have Expert follow Flex as needed.

Lew
N4CO

Answers

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm using one on my Expert 2K-FA
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I had Dan at Expert Linear make me a cable. It works perfect on my 6700. Plugged it in, turned on the radio, amplifier and it functioned perfectly the first time. 
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dan, you using usb connection on Flex, or computer?

Lew
  • John VK3XM
    John VK3XM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Lew,  I am using a FTDI USB cable between the Flex and the 1.3K I followed the cable build instructions in the SPE manual and it worked first time. 
    In fact I have taken the CAT control one stage further. I now have both my Icom and Flex controling the amp and also my Ultrabeam antenna.  Which ever rig is selected it controls the amp and tunes the antenna.
    Good luck, hope this helps.

John VK3XM
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for comments, I have it working via using Expert Amp software via USB connection, and a USB to 9 pin serial adapter connected to USB port on Flex. While this may NOT be best solution at least I'm able to control amp and have it follow band changes. Will polish later.

Lew
    N4CO
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have mine setup on my 1.3k, in SO2R config with my 6700 with a separate receive antenna (dipole). 

You said you have it working via usb connection to the amp, do you also have one of the CAT ports on the 1.3k hooked up as well? I made my own cables. 
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I do, constructed adapter cable to go from 9 pin to 15 pin.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Then you're pretty much all set.  If you set the CAT to "Flex" you can have the amp control drive power per band and power level. This way it is set and forget. 
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    John
    Glad you got it working
    Wayne

• WB9IXS
    WB9IXS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    What USB device are you using between the rig and the amplifier. I have tried a couple different USB to serial devices and none of them show up in the USB cables menu.
    Jim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Genuine FTDI is officially supported. Flex sells them. You can also get them from digikey and mouser. Like this: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/UT232R-200/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsgIz308WEU07Iz/oFKn/jyKnaTFFX%2bBSY= I use a ugreen adapter which claims to be genuine FTDI: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUZY4L0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-6w.ybGTF8YY6 Nothing else but FTDI will work.
  • WB9IXS
    WB9IXS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I found another USB to serial device that works great. It is from SParkFun and sells for $14.95.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Genuine FTDI should always work. That said, this is TTL signal level, but I guess you connect it to the TTL in of the amp's 15 pin port and it will work. This board lacks a RS232 transceiver, it just has the FTDI chip. They do sell another dongle for $15 which has RS232 signal levels and a FTDI chip and RS232 transceiver.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11304
  • Hank Wolfla
    Hank Wolfla Member
    edited August 2017
    I can get my flex to see the serial usb cable, and the parallel cable, but not both at the same time on a USB hub   Any suggestions on how I get my 6500 to see both of my USB cables.  The Flex gives me the cable type, etc on each cable but when I connect both cables nothing changes.  
    Thanks for anyone's help.  73,  Hank K9LZJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.