Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

First Look at 4O3A Tuner Genius

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    What the heck is this ???
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like crickets ;-)
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Sounds like a washboard percussion instrument.....can't wait to order one!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hope he has some good relays! Those sound a bit more substantial than the LDG Tuners I use. 
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ooooh, ... Let's speculate.  16 relays being cycled over 5000 times.  Are those 8 relays for inductance and 8 relays for capacitance, or are they part of a switching matrix for 2 radios and 8 antennas (or 4 radios and 4 antennas, etc.)?

Then, there are places on the board marked "L1", "C", and "L2".  They might be connectors for stepper motors driving a T-network of continuously-variable, shaft-driven inductors and a capacitor (roller inductors and bread slicer).  Or, maybe those positions are connectors to another relay board with relay-selected binary-weighted torroids and high-current ceramic capacitors?

Who has another guess?
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I would say that between the new amp. and this Tuner Genius that Alpha's 4040 will never hit the market and that Alpha will join the ranks of Collins, Johnson , National and become part of Ham radio history.
  • W1RE
    W1RE Member
    edited June 2019

> that Alpha's 4040 will never hit the market

Anyone still believe it was ever going to materialize at this point?

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

We will have to see - The Alpha Amplifier/Dishtronix/Emtron/Ten-Tec Group have booths 6111/6112/6113 reserved.  Mike Dishop N8WFF most likely will speak to the 4040's future their.

Steve K9ZW

• K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Alpha is back manufacturing and selling both Alpha 9500s and 8410s.
    https://www.alpharfsystems.com/?p=1467
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

The relaunched Alpha Amplifier is part of Mike N8WFF's group of companies.  Kudos to Mike for picking up the pieces and running with it!

Steve K9ZW

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited May 2017
    I have a 9500 sbd love it but I think it is old school now that solid state is capable of QRO and the 4040 has been vapirware for years.... Alpha is in business now but I wonder for how long... anyway, this is a Flex forum so enough said
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

An Alpha-9500 works very nicely with a Flex-6000.

The PowerGeniusXL is the latest solid state QRO amp, as there are others.  The same parent group that now owns Alpha has produced one for a couple years - I think Al NN4ZZ might have one?

The 4o3a tuner may be an add-in option for the PowerGeniusXL rather than stand-alone.

Once 4o3a gets the integration with his gear and SmartSDR for the FRS based shack the 4o3a will be a top choice. 

If the new owner of Alpha does something good to the remote software I could see an Alpha-9500 fitting in really well also.

Steve K9ZW

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi Steve,
    You're right, I've got one of Mike's Prometheus DX2400 legal limit SS amps.  It was pricey but has worked perfectly for 8 years now.  Here is a link to my web page with details on it.  
    http://www.nn4zz.com/Prometheus.htm

And there is also a yahoo group for the amp at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PrometheusDX2400/info

Last time I heard from Mike about the 4040 tuner was in January and here is his quote:

The tuner is going to happen, no questions and no doubt about it. This will occur in 2017. I am fixing the issues so that when it is released it will be right and you will be satisfied with the performance.  It will be trouble free just as your Prometheus DX2400 has been.

His quote and more about the 4040 tuner on this Yahoo group for the tuner: 
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Alpha4040/conversations/messages

He is going to be at Dayton/Xenia so will see if he has any updates then.  He has a lot of irons in the fire so I wouldn't be surprised if things change.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
    Win10

• Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    A add-in option for the PowerGeniusXL would be nice
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hidden box of crickets tucked under the table to make it sound like the relays are working... thats it
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just saw this comment, I would agree. it would be very nice!
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with Alpha, but they are certainly not inexpensive. Sitting right beside my PG-XL is my old work horse, an Alpha 87A. Both examples of top notch exgineering.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.