Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Firewire advice

Options
joe camilli
joe camilli Member ✭✭
I need some Firewire advice from the group. I have a Flex-5000A using a SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe (NN-E20012-S2) card. This combination has work perfect for me for several years. Over the weekend a fellow Flexer and local club member made me a great deal on a MOTU 828MK2 audio interface. This will allow me to use one set of speakers/headphones for all my audio sources. The 828 is also a Firewire device. The SIIG is also connected to internal power. The SIIG card has 2 Firewire ports. When I use both ports one for the Flex the other for the 828 I sometime get “crackling sounds on the Flex audio”. No other audio source has this problem. I assume the problem is an interaction between the two (828 and 5000) on the same bus.

Any suggestion on how to cure this?

How about adding a second Firewire card?

Thanks Joe N7QPP

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You are on track. Add a second Firewire card for the MOTU 828MK2.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Joe, What operating system are you using? You might try reducing the buffer setting in the Flex control application to normal or lower depending on what its set at. Also, while you are playing both, check the DPC display in the Flex application and see what its reading! Let us know!
  • joe camilli
    joe camilli Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am running Windows 10
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Great, that means we do not need to worry about which driver to use. What DPCs are you seeing? Is there a driver that came with the MOTU? If so, try the very latest one if you are not already!

• joe camilli
    joe camilli Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You know you have too much stuff when you find 2 extra FireWire cards you didn't know you had. Adding the second card fixed the 5000 problem. But now the 828 has noise. The second card also has the TI chipset. I am going to try the legacy driver on it next.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.