filtering problems?

• Problem
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Not a Problem
Using a 6600m 2.331and just getting on 6m I noticed some strange behavior.  While trying to run 17m FT8/CW on Slice A and listing on 6m for FT8 on Slice B, using both the front panel and smart SDR I get strange mix that appears to be AM signals.  I also can see this behavior when running 20m and 17m and running 6m and 80m again both front panel and smartSDR.  when I switch to 40m it disappears as well as 15.  I have not conducted a matrix test of all combinations of bands, however I did notice that if the behavior is present 6m & 18m and I open a third slice in smart SDR on 15m it disappears and I get good AM free reception. (second pic) Also there are some occasional CW signals it is like the front end is wide open or something.  I have tried bypassing the ATU, no difference am running v2.1.33, on Ant1 for all of the band slices.  While I am very close to WSB-AM 750Khz 50kw perhaps 10miles the AM signal is not WSB-AM.  Even my old IC-735 does not have issues with AM mixing like this situation.
Photo of Lin N4YCI

Lin N4YCI

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
Official Response
So the first thing is that if slice A and B are on the same antenna, you are not using separate antennas and as such, you have entirely too much RF preamp gain on 20m and you are not using the preselectors (noted by the wide indicator)

You need to use a separate antenna for 6m

If you are close to an AM broadcast station, you need to turn off the RF preamp (or use attenuation) for all bands 10m and below and configure the panadapters to use the preselectors.  I suspect you are causing rectification internal to the radio and that is causing the AM radio station images.
Photo of Lin N4YCI

Lin N4YCI

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will shoot you a PM this is not really what I expected you to say.  The use of a hex beam that runs 6-20m is a very normal antenna today and the ability to use several bands at the same time was the reason I selected your product.  
Photo of Lin N4YCI

Lin N4YCI

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have sent you a PM and I called the office with no response.  All I get is apologies from your "receptionist"  and not actual action.  My guess is your team is trying to fix the problems with DAX on many many many computers.  This is truly a sad company that cant handle a customer service problem and actually talk to customer.  Very disappointed.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Lin, I think Tim gave you some specific directions within 24 hours of your post and I see that you did not report back here after what he suggested. Instead you throw an insult at the company. I too had circumstances where I would pick up a strong AM broadcaster and when reducing or eliminating the pre-amp it surely helped. I can't remember the exact radio settings but I will follow what you did so to duplicate results. The Flexradio team are exceptional and time and time again go above and beyond to satisfy. We know they are working their butts off helping people work through all the crap Microsoft update caused, you even acknowledge that. We also know that they are beginning to full-fill Power Genius orders, then of course the new software release coming very soon, but in your world, your problem should take priority. Not to start a tiff but I think your lack of patience is sad.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 361 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
Well said Mike.  Lin, I think your comments are certainly out of line to the hard working employees of Flex.  Perhaps a bit of patience on your part will pay dividends in the future. 
Photo of Lin N4YCI

Lin N4YCI

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Your right I have a low threshold today for customer service today and most days.  Taking a deep breath and I will work it out with them tomorrow.  I do think that they should have enabled persons to answer the phone and not just message takers.  BTW the 20 something "receptionists" sound like they are from a phone answering service not really Flex Employees so that may be why they can't do anything.  Not sure.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9154 Posts
  • 3507 Reply Likes
Lin,

Our support policy is we do not take unsolicited requests for support via a direct call to a support engineer.

All support issues are initiated by opening a HelpDesk support ticket.  We address support issues in order of when they arrive (first in, first out) and criticality.  This is the only fair way to provide support to the individuals who already have open tickets (currently 65 active tickets in the Support queue we work on simultaneously) that receive our utmost attention.  By calling in and talking directly to a support engineer, this action would be the same as  "breaking to the head of the line" which isn't fair to those who have existing issues we are working on.  I would hope that when your ticket is in the work queue, you would appreciate that same consideration where we dedicate the time and resources necessary to address your issue.

When you call into our office, if there is no one to pick up to call, our "virtual" receptionist service picks up the call, rather than having you leave a voicemail.  They have the ability to direct calls, take messages and most importantly create a HelpDesk support ticket on your behalf which is a convenience we provide to our customers.  I have the ability to listen to calls you made to our receptionist service and if there is something that they can improve on, well provide that as a learning opportunity.

I recommend you submit a support ticket via our HelpDesk (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us) so we can assign you a case number and address your issue.

Opening a HelpDesk support ticket will ensure our highest level of customer service we can provide.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...

We'll be back to work tomorrow morning and your ticket will be assigned.  Additionally, you will receive the exact same professional consideration that we give everyone, regardless of your opinions of our support services.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.