Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Filter Widths - Enhancement idea

DrTeeth
DrTeeth Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Whilst operating on digi modes the other day, it occurred to me that it would be useful to have an easy way to make both the receive and transmit filter widths the same. I would prefer a way that involved adjusting the receive filter and then pressing a button to make the tx identical or have an option where the tx bandwidth followed the rx. The reason for using the rx filter is that it is MUCH easier to adjust than the tx width. It may be an idea to have the same methods for adjusting the filters - currently we have 2 for rx and a different one for tx.

For my current operating practices, this would be set as the default if it were available.

What do you chaps think?

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That would be handy for setting TX bandwidth on SSB as well....
    Ken - NM9P
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Who could say no to Dr. Teeth?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ Ken NM9P

"That would be handy for setting TX bandwidth on SSB as well...."

Of course. There are many modes where one could want the rx filter = tx filter. The more I think about this idea, the more uses I can think of for it. It would be useful if the feature could be locked to certain modes, so when setting the rig to USB, the filters change to become equal automatically.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Oh Danny, you are such a schmooze ;-).

I have to say that two Elmers have liked this idea. Both are very active and use the capabilities of the Flex more than I could ever imagine. Hopefully the idea will gain traction.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There is a ddutil command that will set tx filter size. Dd6tfl. You could create several macros to match you mode rx filter 73 W9OY
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Maybe, but it would be so much easier, not to say much more ergonomic, for SSDR to have the option in the interface. Maybe filter size is set in saved profiles? But it would be still easier to have a default check-box.

Thanks for the information on DDUtil anyway. Is there nothing this amazing utility cannot do?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It might be nice as an option to have it automatically linked. But I wouldn't use it that way. On SSB I want to choose my audio profile and have it stay that way. If my tx audio changed every time I adjusted the RX filters to eliminate some temporary interference it would drive me bats. I want my audio profile to remain constant until I change it intentionally. But the idea of a quick and easy way to match the two would be a nice when needed. For example on digital modes, etc.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree Ken. I see it probably being used as a starting point and then not having any other effect. But I can envisage a few cases where I would like the linking to be dynamic, meaning that if I adjust one filter, the other one moves with it. It is much easier and faster to adjust the receive filter so that is what I would adjust in that case; but I could not promise that ;-).
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I believe this macro was created specifically for digital modes like rtty and it also stores offset. There is an rx filter equivalent so you can pretty much automate mode selection to one button. It can also be toggled with another address if you want to choose a wide-narrow pair.

I think frstack might also remember bandwidths 73
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm confused isn't this what the Microphone profile in conjunction with global profile does. ? 
    I built a test profile with the TX and RX band pass filter set to low 1000 high 2000 and saved it to Global, Transmit, Microphone
    When I recalled the Global profile the TX and RX were set 1000-2000 then when I went to 40 meter SSB it went back to 200 to 2900 as i had saved.
    Save your digital setups with the Transmit and RX band pass preset and your in business. Don't forget to save Transmit and Microphone portion as well as the global. (all the same name)

Dan -- KC4GO
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Agreed.  And I'd like to expand on that suggestion a bit, Guy, if I may.

I'm sure it's just me, or the way I operate, but I find the whole method of setting/reviewing both the TX and RX bandwidths to be non-intuitive.  I *really* miss the TX bandwidth indicator that we had on the display in PSDR ("I want my yellow line back!").

Sure, setting the RX bandwidth by dragging the filter on the panadapter is straightforward.  And this is super useful when I'm trying to avoid some QRM or to zoom-in on a given station. 

But how about when I want the RX bandwidth to be, say, pinned at 5K along with the RX bandwidth?  This is what I typically do for digimode operating.  I just want to SEE and be able to easily edit the upper and lower limits of both the TX and RX filters.

I wound-up writing my own code to make this happen.  I guess that IS one of the advantages of having an open API... you can "have it your way."

Peter
    K1PGV

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Dan, as useful as profiles are, I think the temptation must be resisted to use them as a work around instead of implementing useful enhancements.

Cheers

Guy
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Peter,

Sounds like I missed out being a post-PSDR Flexer. The more I think bout this topic, the more I wonder why the rx and tx bandwidths are adjusted in different ways.

It would be sensible to be able to adjust both on the panadaptor.

Cheers

Guy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.