Field testing

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Just how long is the field testing going to take ?
Photo of FRED  W9TB

FRED W9TB

• 166 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Until they have done finding all the obvious bugs issuing fixes testing the fixes and fixing the fixes and testing the fixed fixes
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1059 Posts
  • 302 Reply Likes
Fixed, or variable fixes? :-)
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Sometimes fixes break other things that then require fixing too
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Official Response
Fred, the answer is field testing will conclude when FlexRadio feels that the product has reached a quality level where it can be released based on the feedback from our testing team.  This is no different than the quality process that we undertake when releasing software. It is challenging to quantify something like a specific time period when there are still a few unknowns to be known that come to light when our testing team puts the new product through a series of real-world use cases.

And I can honestly tell you that everyone at FlexRadio and I mean everyone wants nothing more than to ship you your new radio or amplifier as soon as possible.  It is our singular focus as it has been for the past months.  It is easy to give in to external pressures and relax your quality processes to meet an arbitrary ship date.  We want to provide the best user experience possible with our products and it is going to take just a little longer to achieve that goal.  We appreciate your patience.  Thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1059 Posts
  • 302 Reply Likes
From posts I've seen elsewhere, it would seem Icom is having just this problem. Releasing before enough real world testing has taken place. Even though I am anxious to get my 6600M, I would rather testing is as complete as reasonably possible, before I put it thru it's paces at my place.
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
Let me add that there are no known problems with either the production hardware or software for the new radios.  This is our fifth generation direct sampling, network based radio design going back to 2008 for the government.  In fact for a large number of you, your radio is already assembled and tested waiting to pull the trigger for shipment.

Since there is only one SmartSDR that runs all radios, we have to make sure that we have completed appropriated field testing on all FLEX-6000 models before general release.  This is to make sure we haven't missed something in the software merge for all the new hardware products on to the SmartSDR general release.  We also want to make sure the user experience is right out of the box.  You want us to take that kind care I am sure. 

None of you want it sooner than I do.  Soon means soon but not sooner than it should be.  ;>)  

Gerald
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 631 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Proud and elated to own one of these radio's Gerald.
Compliments and congratulations to you and your staff.
Merry Christmas and thanks for doing it your way.
Simply the best!
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 367 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Very helpful and informative post.  Many thanks and happy holidays to the Flex staff....
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
@WD5GWY,

OMG, the owner feedback on the 7610, including from Rob Sherwood, is terrible! Can't believe it Icom would release a radio like this.

See it for your self http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13607
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3975 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
Looks like they like the radio to me,,why shouldn't they?
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Yes, people do like the radio. James was trying to spread rumors to the contrary:
From posts I've seen elsewhere, it would seem Icom is having just this problem. Releasing before enough real world testing has taken place.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Howard   i tink that kind answer generate lot of frustration 

now is much more hardware related ,so flex have already prototype on hand since at least Xenia  ,based on picture of flexinsider  it have at least over 60 radio near complete and PCB for ~150 more ,i think that if flex put million of dollars in part to assemble PCB , it knot that that it work flayless

so beta testing of radio it much more for testing very minor production glitch  so usually short time
think that it likely that flex start to ship right after Xmas holiday

not to forgot that seem that Beta Team have on had since some time now the new Smartsdr
so part of the testing job is already started

think to said something like 15 January some of the first batch radio will be delivery  is a good guest 

Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
Without going into a lot of details, it's more than just minor glitches. A lot of what we do as alpha testers is UAT - User Acceptance Testing. We come from a wide cross section of the amateur community. I am a contester and DXer, but I also rag chew. Some of us like nets. Some like CW operation. One guy is a hard core VHF/UHF operator and uses transverters a lot. Then you have multi op stations like K9CT who basically put everything through its paces on a contest weekend. If we don't like something we let the dev team know. They will come back to us with modifications, we test and provide our feedback. 

Personally I don't want anything reaching you that I won't like using myself. I look at competitive products and also observe other operators' style of operating. I monitor the contest reflectors and the contest results to see who scored how high using what equipment and how. All of this gets fed back to the team when I see something I wish Flex would do, or that they can do better. 

As for this new release, there are a number of factors at play. There are at least five new hardware products - 6400, 6600, and M versions, and the Power Genius XL. All of them are integrated with this new version of SmartSDR. 
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
HI Ria   i have made reference to "hardware" part of the radio 
since software glitch not delay the production of the radio , even if ship only when all work  , that what make SDR great , after radio is out , radio still in evolution 
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 631 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Marc I think your time table is likely accurate (just my opinion from what has already been stated).
And if I may get in on "The Fix" Howard is speaking in jest, just a little while longer and very much worth the wait.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Je plaisantais sur le correctif du correctif parce que j’étais fatigué des gens poser la même question maintes et maintes fois
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
;-) pas de rancune cetait pas personnel  , must admit that i was bit upset today ,yesterday snow storm leave 18" of snow so likely that now that must wait for next April  for going back to air so likely miss for sure  Bouvet on EME

guest it time for me to work for fit snow thrower into a ski-doo  
Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 340 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Keep in mind that there is also a release of SmartSDR that will need to be ALPHA tested with the new hardware. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
They go hand in hand as the new hardware is dependent on the new software.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 631 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
It'll be good (fingers crossed)...
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 367 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
All these comments make me believe shipment will not begin "SOON".  I hope I am mistaken..  
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Not sure of exact timeframe for word "soon" but Flex has already been testing in-house. 

The reason for field testing is what Ria outlined above, in the real world we can help verify and test many more configurations with peripheral hardware and software than you can in a lab environment.

Since the new radios and software are built to support the old radios as well we also need to ensure that the existing radios continue to work without any regressions.

Even though the time for releases is longer than people would like the quality of the releases is much better than early on in the history of the 6000 series. I thought the 2.0 rollout went very smooth.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 367 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
The Flex definition of soon has been lengthened drastically from its Webster definition.  I just hope the field testing doesnt drag out for another few months.
Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I wish Flex would follow the Apple model of new product announcements with the products available in volume a week after the announcement.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 808 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I think if Flex had the operating capital that Apple has they would probably do that
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 784 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
I was really hoping to have a new 6600M under the tree this year but it doesn't look like that’s going to happen. ;(
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1059 Posts
  • 302 Reply Likes
We shall survive!
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
Apple announced the new iMac Pro on June 5 and some versions are just now becoming available--have to wait until January for other versions.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
I FRS followed the Apple model that would mean we would have millions upon millions of hams and you think there is QRM now. Apple can accommodate because they have the numbers to commit to very large production runs.
Photo of Matt (K0KB)

Matt (K0KB)

• 144 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
If I was to look at it objectively I would say that the Power Genius XL has been in field testers hands for one month and they haven’t sent the two week notice pre-ship invoice e-mails out to customers yet. I would imagine you’re looking at a Feb ship date for the first batch of 6400/6600s if they do make it to field testers hands next week. January is probably unrealistic.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
yup Soon is not so soon   , on my side have ordered 7610 that now stock @ DXE
and it will have it on hand soon since it ship it tomorrow
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 367 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
I have considered ordering one of the 7610s as can justify it as my Xmas present (also saw my first used one for sale today), but I love my Flex radios and just not sure I can live with the small panadapter and low resolution of the Icom.  Also about $900 higher in price..  
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1122 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
I am looking forward to getting mine, but I have no doubt Flex wants it to ship even more than I do.

With a new updated model includes the fact you have to phase out of the previous version (6300 and 6500 in this case). Flex started this process months ago and currently does not have much for product to sell.  

I am positive this delay is more painful to them as it for me.

Rich
kd0zv
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Since this post has been asked and answered, I am inclined to close it since the recent replies are going off topic.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.