Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FHM-1 mic Fix?

Bill -VA3WTB
Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
I have had a terrible time getting my FHM-1 to sound better. It could not be EQ in any way to to help.
The front of the mic is to closed off to allow your voice through.
So what I did was drill a few holes in the front grill to allow my voice to get to the element. The sound of the mic as greatly improved. But the holes do not make the mic pretty but functional.

Comments

• L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I had the same audio problem using my FHM-1 hand mic with my Maestro. I just couldn't get it equalized properly to make it sound good. After frequent comments of poor audio I finally gave it away and bought a Heil HM-Pro hand mic. I now get good audio reports using the given profile for the mic in SmartSDR.
    Cheers
    Lloyd
    VE3ERQ
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I replaced mine with the Yaesu MH-31 which came with my Mark V. They appear identical on the outside but the innards must be different. They sure sound different.

73 de Mike W9OJ
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I didn't want to buy another mic, I'm glad this fix worked just fine.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I am hanging out with a group on SSB that is all about "Hi-Fi" so I am now using a vocal mic, through a pre-amp, through a digital processor, then into the flex balanced input.  I've gotten some great reports on the audio quality.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This mod for a Yaesu hand mike may apply to Flex FHM-1 mike.
    http://m0ukd.com/mods/yaesu-mh-31-electret-condenser-mic-modification/
    There is also another mod where the original condenser element is replaced with a Hail HC4 element, unfortunately not manufactured anymore. My main concern is the mike cable, without any RF screening, I believe.

Tom, SP7WT

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    The FHM-1 uses a dynamic mic element.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for your clarification, Timothy.

Tom
  • John Pfeifer
    John Pfeifer Member
    edited November 2017
    I get great audio reports with a R-144 ribbon mic
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It seem like the reason for my post has been lost.
    The problem with the FHM-1 mic is not the element, it is the poor case. The front of the mic does not allow for sound to pass through the grill, so opening it up solves the problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.