Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Feedback for the latest FLEX Insider...

2»

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It is just that not so long ago (approx 2 weeks IIRC), 1.4 was officially on schedule for an end of October release.

@ Jon. I did read that statement about another month, but there was sufficient contradictory woolliness in the rest of the newsletter to make me doubt that.

I have to be an optimist, I live with a confirmed pessimist. To do otherwise would be to drive through life with the handbrake on, hi hi.
  • G4YDO
    G4YDO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    does having dv mode mean we will be able to run dstar?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DV, i.e. FreeDV, and D-Star are two different digital formats.  FreeDV runs Codec2 which is open source.  D-Star is Icom's proprietary digital encoding format.  Technically i would think it was possible, but getting the D-Star software license might be expensive.

But the new waveform API will make all manner of different digital modes possible either on-board or out-board.  Time will tell.
  • AE0MW
    AE0MW Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No, FreeDV is a different digital system.

Having the Wave API available though does mean that it would be possible to add D-Star to the Flex using just software however the coder would need to be extremely talented to finish the software implementation (there is code out there that almost works) and remain anonymous (to avoid legal issues from DSVI).

Using the Wave API it may be possible to implement a D-Star mode using a DV-Dongle and should be much easier than an all software implementation.

The problem is, will it happen?

A lot of the coders who are capable of this kind of work aren't really enamored with Flex's closed architecture. The ones who would do it for the fun and notoriety would pick a different platform, and the ones who might do it for the money don't really see much to be gained since it would be an insanely small target audience and driving sales to a different product (DV-Dongle).

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Technically, D-Star is not Icom's proprietary format AIUI. Just the codec is proprietary and it is not owned by Icom. The only thing that Icom owns is the trade mark 'D-Star'.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    The issue is that the owners charge a $50 licensing fee for each install of the Codec

Just to add insult to injury... DSTAR was deliberately crippled by the Japanese Ministry of Industry and Technology because they were afraid people would use it to bypass paid Internet Services.. so it's deliberately very slow data rates make for less than optimum usability...

BTW... I made the first documented DSTAR Contact from the base of MontMartre in Paris France to K6BK San Diego way back on April 15, 2008....

So I have lots of experience with incredibly klunky mode.image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.