Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Features that I miss on the Flex 6500

Lou, i4AWX - AB1FJ
edited December 2018 in New Ideas
I started with the SDR 1000 years ago and then upgraded to the FLEX 3000.
I have now purchased the FLEX 6500 about a week ago, perhaps I am not entirely familiar with it, but there are some features that I miss - I wonder if you guys at FLEXRADIO feel that any of the ideas below are worth considering in some of your future software developments.
1) SLICE RECEIVER. Most of us use just one receiver at the time. It would be good to have a larger display for that -  a larger and more readable S-meter and a continuous display for the -Dbm signal strength as it used to be in the Flex 3000. Having the same display on the low right end corner I feel is just a duplicate and pretty much useless in any respect.
2) AGC. I miss the "long" and "custom" settings that I used to have on the 3000. I miss the ability of setting the various attack & delay thresholds as well. Why was all this that left out in the 6500?
3) PROCESSOR. I don't like having fixed settings (DX & DX + only) and here again it would be good to have the ability of setting your own preferred thresholds. Same for the COMPRESSION level which cannot be custom set.
4) BREAK-IN. Even at normal speeds (e.g. 22 wpm) the changeover does not sound quite smooth. It sounds better by reducing the MONITOR level but then the audio is kind of low. I don't know if it's me or the rig seetings or the computer or what, and wonder if anyone else has experienced the same problem. I honestly prefer operating break-in on other rigs (ICOM) and feel the 6500 is not quite up to par as far as this feature is concerned. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Lou,
    I would like to comment on break in CW with the Flex 6500. My experience is different to yours. I normally send at about 22 wpm and find the monitored audio excellent and the switching time better than on my old FT1000MP which I used to use.
     I think that AGC has some way to go in development as there are times when greater control would help.
    With the slice size and controls, I think you will find that as you get more used to what the Flex 6500 can do, you will start to use more of the features. I do. I rarely have less than 2 slices open at a time. On 6 metres which I mainly use the S meter easily comes to the eye when giving a signal report.
    Enjoy your new radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.