Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Feature Enhancement Request - Static IP Addresses

Joe N3HEE
Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in New Ideas
I have created DHCP reservations for my radio and front panel IP's in my router.  However, it would be nice to be able to assign a static IP address to the radio and front panel.  This would prevent IP addresses from changing.  This is especially useful when using third party applications that rely on connecting to the radio via IP.  

Comments

• W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just set a static ip by mac address in the router. Thats how mine is set up.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, that is what I did.  Just looking for some flexibility in network settings without going into the router.
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Being able to assign a static IP address to the Radio itself would be fantastic. You can use your router to define a static IP lease reservation using the MAC address of the Radio. Only problem is Flex seems to periodically change the MAC address with certain software updates. For anyone that has basic networking skills, being able to manually assign IP Address data into the radio would be the way to go. Unfortunately, this is not supported.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I wonder why they are changing MAC addresses ?
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I don’t know, but it breaks the port forwarding rules in the router for remote access when they do so.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Why do you need static IPs? Just wondering, as I have not had the need... 73 Andy KU7T
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    While you can set an IP in the radio, I would strongly recommend against it.

By setting a DHCP reservation based on the rig's MAC address, you accomplish the same thing - a reproducible, constant value for the rig's IP address and place in your network. 

If you set any device in a DHCP-enabled network to a fixed value, at some point you WILL run into trouble when DHCP assigns the fixed value (it knows nothing about) to another device. It usually isn't fun.

And yes, Flex did issue an update that changed the reported MAC. Once. I don't think that's likely again. Even if it is, it would call for a one-time update to your router DHCP table.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    As long as you assign static addresses that are not in your DHCP pool you will be OK.  I have my DHCP pool limited to 50 addresses.  I have plenty of addresses available for static addresses.

To answer Andy's question, static addresses are good for when you have third party apps like Smart SDR or iOS configured to connect to your radio using a FIXED address.  I also have N1MM configured with the IP address of my radio so Focus Helper will work properly.  I don't want to have to reconfigure my third party apps every time the address changes on my radio.  
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    "If you set any device in a DHCP-enabled network to a fixed value, at some point you WILL run into trouble when DHCP assigns the fixed value..."

If you plan your IP allocation you can reserve a range for DHCP and a range for Static and they will never overlap.  It's also simpler to setup than Static-DHCP mappings. Either method can achieve the same goal, so to say you"WILL run into trouble" just isn't correct.

After I posted this I saw Joe N3HEE had said more or less the same thing.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Joe said:

"static addresses are good for when you have third party apps like Smart SDR or iOS configured to connect to your radio using a FIXED address.  I also have N1MM configured with the IP address of my radio so Focus Helper will work properly.  I don't want to have to reconfigure my third party apps every time the address changes on my radio."

- SmartSDR does not need a static IP. Can you elaborate why you say this?

- Focus helper may be. I have never been able to get the focus helper to work, but I do not use SmartSDR on the PC anymore, I like the M too much.  Maybe the requirement of a static IP (if you are correct) is the reason I never got this to work.  I'll take a mental note on that...

Thanks for clarification,
    Andy
    KU7T
  • KC4SW
    KC4SW Member
    edited September 2018
    I have read and agree with some of what has been said in the replies above. While it is might not be germane to this particular discussion a nod to network security might be appropriate. DHCP is great if you do not have networking experience or if you have a large turn-over of users, think Starbucks lounge,, but... if you use a wireless environment that get’s breached DHCP will give the bad guy a valid address and then he is free to hi-jack your system. In all of the Systems I support DHCP is limited to 1 plus the number of known mobile users although regular mobile users are assigned addresses. To the point of the question, my 6500 and Maestro are both assigned fixed addresses. Additionally my firewall configuration file contains specific route instructions from the outside to the radio on specific ports/protocols.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Third party apps should find the IP using Flex's broadcast packets. That's how the Maestro works, for example. This works within your local network, at least. No need for fixed IP address.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Andy, 

I am not talking about SmartSDR for Windows. I am talking about Smart SDR for iOS.  That is the app that runs on iPhones and iPads. Although that app will scan my network and find my radio it takes time.  There is an option to give the app the IP address of my radio.  This speeds up connecting to the radio because it does not have to scan or discover my radio every time. 

To get Focus Helper to work you need to add the IP address of the radio in the N1MM configuration.  Open the configurer window in N1MM and click on broadcast data tab.  Then make sure the radio box is checked and then add the IP address and port number of your radio in the field to the right of the check box.  Make sure the port number is the same as in the radio settings in Smart SDR.  I use port 13063 but you can use anything you want as long as they are the same in both places. 

Focus helper works in conjunction with SmartSDR for Windows when you use your computer to display the panadapters and slices.  It's a very nice feature that lets you click on the controls and panadapters and automatically returns the focus back to N1MM call entry window.  I use it all the time.

Joe
    N3HEE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.