• Updated 10 months ago
Looking at the specifications for the new 6600 I see the following:
+  1 more XVTR port
+  Contest and ham band band pass filters
+  Better price
-  NO ant1 nor ant2 out/loop
-  No 2nd nyquest zone - No 2M IF for transverter
-  Lesser stable TXO
-  Larger size uses more rack space (6.75" vs 3.5") 

1) I found a major use of the ant out ports was to insert a BC band filter which permitted RF preamp gain on low bands without BC signals overloading the AtoD converter.  Other than a RX only antenna, how can the BC band be attenuated when in "WIDE" mode?  Does this negate the Maestro and SSDR "Loop" selections?  Suggest an internal BC band filter that can be switched in.
2) Are rack ears in the plan for the 6400/6600?  Obviously not for the "M" models.
3) Are there transverters that use IF frequencies above 30MHz?
4) The RX specifications appear the same between 6600 and 6700.  Are they the same?

and did I miss any other +/- items?
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 385 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of W9TVX

• 46 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I'm curious to see if there will be a 6700M (or more likely a 6800/6800M) in the very near future?
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 385 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Watching the many posts for information.  The reason for this is we (Surrey ARC) have a Maestro + 6700 on order and trying to understand the options.  BTW: Still love my 6700 and expected, with Moore's Law, better performance at a lower price; it happened for the 6300/6500 and must eventually displace the 6700.  3 years as top of the hill - not bad at all.

1) Still no easy answer for the BC filter and no information on overload levels or dynamic range.  I understand that lab testing is still to come.
2) Still no mention on racking the 6600
4) "The RX is better, we just don't know how much, if any"

Another question which touches on FRS futures:
5) Is there a Maestro MKII that has the higher resolution screen that the 'M' models have?  My preferred configuration is a racked 6600 with desktop Maestro. $1.2K for current version and $1K option for higher resolution mounted on the 6600.