Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FDV Problems

Paul Burton
Paul Burton Member ✭✭
edited June 2017 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I successfully loaded FDV and tried it with another ham with Flex and FDV.  The transmission looks normal but the receive audio is somewhat garbled and unnatural, is difficult if not impossible to understand, and comes out only the left earphone.  I have RIT off and have carefully tuned in the other station.  In listening to other DV transmissions, some are better but all sound about the same.   Is this all normal or perhaps I have something set up wrong.

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Turn off binaural.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Also try it with only one panadapter open. The more panadapters I have running, the more the audio is choppy and I hear a LOT of "pops" in the audio.
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

OK, thanks.  I'll try that and get back.

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The same thing with slices.  Only have a single slice open and never have a 2nd slice that is also trying to process FDV.....
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    OK, thanks for the many comments.  Disabling the binaural audio got me audio from both sides.  I found that the signal needs to be fairly strong for good decode and the tuning is quite critical.  I guess it's working ok but the voices are unnatural and sometimes choppy. 
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Can I ask this here ... what is the VERY SIMPLEST way to decode and listen to what I see and hear loud and clear now on 14.236 on my FLEX 6300? (No I don't want to transmit or anything else right now ---- just hear and understand what I am seeing.)

THANKS!  -Dave
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2017
    Install the FreeDV mode in your radio.  The download is here -- http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/freedv_waveform_installer-msi/

The instructions explain how to add it to your radio once you've installed the package on your computer.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Steve. 60 yrs a Ham and it feels like being a Novice starting all over at the very beginning again with something new, not even knowing what questions to ask. And that's FUN!    -  73  Dave
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Where are these instructions of which you speak?

73 de Mike W9OJ

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Hi Mike, instruction in details is here: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/  from page 107

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.