Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FD Voice Msgs Help with N3FJP FD log setup parameters using 6300 & DAX

wb3fsr
wb3fsr Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
If you have used Scott & Kimberly's
N3FJP ARRL FD Contest software I'm sure you will agree it is one of the best for the event.  

This year I would like to make use of the voice keyer and try to save my voice a little hihi.

Since Scott has updated his software to interface closely with Flex SmartSDR have any of you been successful interfacing voice msg transmissions via DAX? If so would you kindly walk me through this...  

I can key the rig nicely using the F keys having selected 'RIG interface' under the setup selection of Transmit-Phone 1.2 screen. However within the 'Sound Card' menu section the only DAX line items appear as reserved.  Should I have a TX-1 listed selection?

Appreciate any walk through guidance and tips you may be able to offer.

PeterV WB3FSR Jersey Shore

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You should be able to go to the field day program's "Settings>Transmit>Phone Setup" tab and under "Sound Card," use the scroll bar to scroll to "DAX Audio TX" to link to send audio to your 6000 rig.

If you want to record, then the only way I have found with N3FJP's programs is to temporarily set it to "DAX RESERVED MIC AUDIO" while recording, then set it back to "DAX AUDIO TX" when operating.  It doesn't seem to be able to access the DAX MIC AUDIO device directly.

You will need to turn OFF the DAX button on the SSDR TX panel, or key the Mic while recording.  (You can send into the XVTR port or into a dummy load while recording to prevent stray transmission.)  But don't forget to set things back when ready to operate.

Alternately, you can record via Audacity, using the DAX MIC AUDIO Stream.  Then put your recorded files into a directory where the field day program can find them, and link to them in the setup tabs.

It looks as if you have already selected a COM port for use as a PTT port when sending.  So I won's go into that.

If you still cannot find the DAX AUDIO TX in the field day program's setup tab, then you may have "Ghosted" or "Phantom" audio devices in your Windows Device Manager.  Open Device Manager and select "Audio Inputs and Outputs"  and then select "View>Show Hidden Devices" and see if there are duplicates.  If so, look at the Help Desk postings and you will find instructions on how to remove Ghost Ports.  Alternately, you can "right-click" on the duplicates that are grayed out and hit uninstall" for each one of them.  But only do the grayed-out duplicates.  Erasing the wrong ones can cause problems requiring you to re-ionstall DAX...(Not a big problem, but an inconvenience.)

Hope this helps.

Ken - NM9P
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I think you said it all Ken. I use Audacity to record.

Here are some screen shots of my setup.

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    This looks like pretty cool software.
  • wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited June 2017
    Ken et al.,

I I followed the procedure to view hidden / ghosted items as viewed below. Have not noticed Ghosted so far.

Do the lists below look normal for a 6300 installation?

I  do not find DAX Audio TX within the list - Does this indicate I should perform a DAX uninstall & reinstall?

Seems like a lot of DAX items for a 6300 - can I eliminate some of these?

Tnx PeterV WB3FSR

imageimage
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    It does seem like something is amiss. Yes try Dax remove then reinstall
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Peter, it looks like something is amiss. You have Two DAX Audio RX 2's and no DAX Audio TX. But you have the DAX RESERVED Audio TX. You also have two different DAX IQ RX 4's. And two DAX RESERVED Audio RX 2's. And two DAX RESERVRD IQ RX 1's. Looks like some Dax driver intervention is in order. There is a post on the flex Help Desk with some good instructions.
  • wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited June 2017
    Uninstalled & Reinstalled - Note the posted instructions appear to have a couple of typos in important places...

Can I remove all DAX items that are numbered >2  ? For 6300

PeterV WB3FSR

New list below following install
  • wb3fsr
    wb3fsr Member
    edited June 2017
    Tnx Ken & the group I now have DAX TX audio via N3FJP...

If this issue is common, I think I will write a batch file & share to speed the recovery process up a great deal.

PeterV WB3FSR
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I've never tried to uninstall the higher ones, but I know that you CAN right-click and hit "disable" for the unused ports above #2 for the 6300. I used to disable 5-8 for my 6500 with no problems. I will leave it to others to answer about whether uninstalling the higher ports would be advised. I am a bit puzzled at your DAX Audio RX 2 (Virtual Audio Cable) and its companion RESERVED Audio RX 2. They may have gotten renamed from something you had in (Virtual Audio Cable) since I see pairs for Lines 1, 3, & 4, but no pair for Line 2. You might want to open your Virtual Audio Cable program and check how they are defined. Other than that, it looks like you got things cleaned up. Though I don't know how you are keeping track of pairs of cables (I assume one in and one out) that both have the same name (Line 1, Line 3, Line 4, etc.) Are you using them for a PSDR-based rig? Good luck. Ken - NM9P
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    As far as the 6300 is concerned, I have made a practice of deleting (or at least disabling) all Dax lines >2 as well as any IQ >2 since for the most part the 6300 does not use them. That said, after I disable or delete them I restart the machine so the system reorders the present listing and all seems to run ok and it usually works much better.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.