Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fan Control

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
Can there be a way for the operator to manually control the 6000 series fans? When doing some casual RTTY this weekend running about 60W it did not take long for the rig to get to over 70 degrees C....then to 80. The fans were humming away but did not seem to do much in keeping the temps down. 80-C is pretty hot. If we can set the fans to be on all the time at a bit lower level than full speed it may go a long way to keeping the temps down. I was not rag chewing when the temps got so hot...just a normal QSO. 73 Greg AB7R

Comments

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Odd... my 6500 sits 4" away from a legal limit amp and it doesn't get that hot. Are both sides open so that air can be directed through the chassis? Mickey N4MB
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Yes...plenty of ventilation room. It is only doing this in digital modes like RTTY and when transmitting for a bit over a minute or so. I can see the temp rise on the DDUtil display from 30...40...50...76...80. Then cools down to about 50 before I transmit again. -Greg
  • jim
    jim Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    guess i would be in trouble as i always run 100w on the flex 3000 the high I have seen 70c
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Maybe a silly question, but can you confirm the radio is "really" getting hot? With an internal 80 degrees, there should be heat pouring off the unit. Could this be a software issue? I do a lot of digital mode work and unless I'm (accidentally!) working into a mismatch, the fans always stay at the lower speed. I also don't use DDUtil --possible connection there?
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    your buddy in the left coast... Still waiting for DAX
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2013
    The two side fans are indeed **** air and the exhaust is very warm out of the rear vents. I submitted a help desk ticket for this though I am not sure if it is a problem....I don't know what the duty cycle is or if the power should be reduced significantly in a key down mode like RTTY. 73 Greg

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.