Keith Flint

• 44 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Keith Flint

Keith Flint

• 44 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is Flex support reply to my latest (12/5/2018 inquiry.
This information should settle once and for ever the controversy sourrounding Fan replacement

Tim Ellison (FlexRadio Systems)

Dec 5, 2:48 PM CST

Keith,

You asked...

Do you sell replacement chip fans with or without the heatsink? 
No, we do not.  To change a chip cooler from the old style to the new style, the heatsink must be removed from the CPU and FPGA.  It is attached with a strong thermal adhesive and if not removed correctly, it can be really easy to pull the solder balls away from the PCB.  To repair this type of damage, we have to reflow the board which is a VERY expensive repair, so replacing the chip coolers is not a field serviceable repair.

Is there more than one type of fan? 
Yes.  There are the small chip coolers on the CPU and FPGA and a larger PC case type van for cooling the PA.

Can the fans be replaced onto the existing heatsink without replacing it?
The chip coolers are different from the original style where the fans were susceptible to premature failure and the new style we are using now.  The fan component between the two styles is not interchangeable.

I am concerned because my 6000 is out of warranty. The last fan replacement was done by Flex under the warranty even though it had expired.
Your radio was serviced earlier this year under RMA 26166 and has the new style chip cooler installed.

As long as you periodically clean the CPU and FPGA chip cooler fans, they should have a long lifetime.  Here is a HelpDesk article, How to properly clean the FLEX-6000 Cooling fans describing how to clean the chip coolers.

Since your questions regarding this support ticket have been addressed, I am submitting your HelpDesk ticket to be closed. If you have any additional questions regarding this incident, you can re-open this ticket simply by replying. After 4 days you will need to open a new HelpDesk ticket.

Thanks for using the FlexRadio HelpDesk. We're here to help when you need us.

Tim Ellison, W4TME
Customer Experience Manager

FlexRadio SystemsTM
4616 W Howard Ln Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713

Keith Flint (W7ZAC)

Dec 5, 2:33 PM CST

I have been following the community forum with regards to chip fan replacement parts. I was told before I sent my 6300 in for fan replacement that Flex is now using a new fan type which requires a heatsink replacement, so it is not field replaceable and Flex will not sell the fans. Now, a ham has ordered a large supply of fans from a third party supplier, and is selling them to whomever has a need to replace their fans. My questions are:

Do you sell replacement chip fans with or without the heatsink?
Is there more than one type of fan?
Can the fans be replaced onto the existing heatsink without replacing it?

I am concerned because my 600 is out of warranty. The last fan replacement was done by Flex under the warranty even though it had expired.

Thank you
Keith
W7ZAC

This email is a service from FlexRadio Systems. Delivered by Zendesk.

[ER96YV-3LER]
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 661 Reply Likes
I see no controversy, what Tim wrote you is correct. It is strongly advisable not to attempt the heat sink replacement in the field. So what some are doing are only replacing the fans and leaving the heatsink intact. The replacement fans that Eric is ordering are the exact replacement FANS. They simply un screw from the cooler.
Photo of Keith Flint

Keith Flint

• 44 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You did not read Tim's reply. Please read it again. He tells us that there are more than one fan/heatsink that Flex has used and the current fan/heatsink being installed is not the same as the older fan/heatsink. Please start READING before you start replying. Thanks.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 661 Reply Likes
Keith, that is what I have been saying all along, the new fan heat sinks Flex is using now are not the same as the original ones. so the fan itself is not backwords compatible. For this reason many are using the fans Eric can get that will fit into the original heat sinks. They spec out as the same as the original fans that come in the Flex. I tlooks like your not reading my replies.  I hope this is clear.  And I am not clear what problem you are raising anyways?
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1735 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Hi Keith and Bill,
I've added some notes about the fan differences to my web page also and plan to add some pictures to help identify the type of fan (old or new).  

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Here is an excerpt with the introduction text changes and a new NOTE:

CLICK to see full size....

I suspect there will continue to be some confusion about the fans.  Maybe once we get some side by side pictures of the old and new fans it will help.

Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
Win10

Photo of Keith Flint

Keith Flint

• 44 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Al. That sure helps