Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Extra battery lid for Maestro

KP4TR
KP4TR Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I just purchased a brand new Maestro today (from a fellow ham who never opened the box) and I was wondering if FlexRadio sells the back lid of the battery compartment by itself. I'm interested in installing a Raspberry PI inside the Maestro to use with Softether bridge. I would like to drill holes for cabling etc on the lid itself, but would do it on a secondary cover lid.

Thanks.

Answers

• Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited March 2018
    I am curious; what will the Rasberry Pi Softether bridge do for you?   ....always like to learn new tricks.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cool Idea Ramon, having the VPN attached to the Maestro would keep the wiring down to a minimum and power the Pi and Maestro from a battery in the battery compartment.  

As long as the SmartLink server stays working you wouldn't really gain anything over SmartLink UNLESS you connect a external Ethernet switch or a second WiFi USB dongle and Bridge it to connect a Laptop too which would give you a logger and  access to DAX and CAT digital programs. 

Only Problem I had with the Pi VPN Bridge and running the Maestro remote is when you change Internet locations you will need a monitor and keyboard to set the new IP, wireless SSID and WPA key  on the Pi.

My setup here is as follows, I use a larger (15Ah) 12Volt Lithium Phosphate Battery and have a Laptop setup as a Softether Bridge in a pelican case with the LiPO battery this way I run and keep the Maestro Charged and Powered, charge the laptop and run the accessories with a 5 Volt Power supply. 

This way I run Power and Ethernet cables to the Maestro and have the best of both worlds having my Windows tablet to run SmartSDR, CAT and DAX digital programs or whatever all on my home network over the Softether Bridge software on the Laptop from about anywhere I can get internet on the Laptop. 

73's Ramon

Bret
    WX7Y

• Digital Ham
    Digital Ham Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    H Btet, how about some pics and diagrams
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    sounds like a lot of mess for remote, just use smarlink!!!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not sure what Pic's you need I use the www.BioennoPower.com batteries of your choice, a Panasonic ToughBook CF52 (any Laptop should work that has a WiFi and wired Ethernet port), and a Pelican case to fit it in, your choice. 

The wiring is just almost as simple, the 12V Power cord that comes with the Maestro.
    PowerWerx PD-8, for power distribution
    PowerWerx USBbuddy for the 5Volt accessories

Software on Laptop SoftEther VPN Server for the Bridge and Client software depending on which mode you want to use. 

You can purchase the Batteries, and other Power accessories from Powerwerx.com

case I used https://www.amazon.com/Black-Tactical-Weatherproof-Equipment-Case/dp/B00QPQLWO6/ref=pd_sim_421_1?_en...

Bret
    WX7Y

• KP4TR
    KP4TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Use as a softether bridge to connect to my 6300. This topic has been discussed extensively here. 
  • KP4TR
    KP4TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Will give it a try if its free.
  • KP4TR
    KP4TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good news! Im fairly new with SmartSDR and didn't know anything about Smartlink. Just kept reading old docs I guess. So I have updated to a costly version 2, and have configured Smartlink. Working from my Iphone, Maestro and laptop.

So I guess I don't need to use Softether or a Rpi after all! Thanks for the tip.

• KP4TR
    KP4TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I took the suggestion to upgrade to version 2 and will use Smartlink. I had an older radio that was still using version 1.xx.

If I was stuck on version 1, my plan was to use a Raspberry Pi inside the Maestro with 12v to 5V stepdowns for the Pi and the Maestro, with a thin ethernet connected to the ethernet port. And run Softether bridge to my server at home.

But I don't need this anymore!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    I bought the same case. The only gripe I have with it is the "pick and pluck" foam they use in this case is no where near as good as the Pelican cases.

I haven't checked to see if Pelican has a comparable case you can order replacement foam for. I have the Maestro, power supply, two Polanfo battery packs and RS60-CS headset in the case.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.