External 10 MHz Input

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered

I have a Spectracom 8183 NetClock/GPS that has a 10 MHz sinewave output at 350 mVrms into 50 ohms.  The FLEX 6500 hardware manual says it requires a 1.0v p-p minimum signal , so I am close.  My question is- is there an indication or a way to determine if the Flex 6500 is using the 10 MHz external reference input?  Thank you in advance.

Steve
KM4CJ

Photo of KM4CJ

KM4CJ

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9399 Posts
  • 3640 Reply Likes
Official Response
There isn't a visual indicator that the radio is using an external clock source.  We do have that as a feature enhancement request.
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hello, Has anything been done about this feature request yet?
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 683 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Yes there is an indicator in the menu that indicates you are locked to an external 10mhz source.
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
What menu, where, which Flex radio, which software?
(Edited)
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 214 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
SSDR, Settings -> Radio Setup -> RX tab
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
6600M, Press MENU then RADIO. At the bottom of the display it will show what it is locked to.
Photo of George Moranian

George Moranian

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Ok Steve well that unfortunately doesn't work on the 6500 and Geoff that doesn't tell you what you are locked to.
It should be something on the SSDR screen indicating that. If the Flex losses the External 10 MHz lock then you will pretty much never know.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 214 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
In SSDR on the RX tab under "10 MHz Reference" You can choose the source. If you select the external option from the dropdown and there is no external reference it will display "Searching" and will not show a lock. If you choose "Auto" it shows the source.
Photo of KA9CFD

KA9CFD

• 24 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Which version of SmartSDR? I am using 2.6.1 and a Flex 6500 and this is not available.

73 Jay KA9CFD
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 214 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
i'm using a 6400 with 2.4.9 so it looks as though there is a difference in the radio or the software...