Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External tuner with Flex 6300 and ACOM Amp

Andrew Holman2
Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am new to flex radios and ham in general.  I just purchased a Flex 6300, ACOM 600S and I already have an LDG-600ProII External Tuner.

With my current ALS-600 & FTdx-1200, I have to switch to stand-by, tune, flip the amp back on etc.

My question is, will this setup with the Flex 6300 work with the auto-tuner and new amp? I want to make this setup as seamless as possible.

Any help, guidance etc, would be fantastic.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    The tuner can be damaged easily if you should try tune the tuner at high power. Be sure the tuner is always in standby (bypassing the amplifier) when you tune your antenna. Running too much power into the tuner while tuning can cause arcing and severely damage the relays at higher power levels. However if you follow those safeguards, everything should be automatic assuming your antenna is within the tune parameters of the tuner specifications.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If feel better with a 1000 ProII. Just a little protection. I'd hate to have a failure by having a touch more powers then the tuner can handle. I had a tuner fail once and needed new finals as a result. Mike N9DFD
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks I will look at a bigger tuner as well.

One thing the amp docs say is that through the RS232 interface the amp can receive an OPR or STB command. Is that something the Flex 6300 will do when tuning? 

Do I need a separate cable for the 232 / cat control from the Flex to the Amp? 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    The problem you are having is that when you change frequency, commands will be sent to the tuner. If the amplifier is in line, the amplifier will tune under high power. Once you tune the Flex, you want to put the tuner in the semi-automatic mode so no change of frequency or RS-232 commands can cause the tuner to tune under high power conditions. Your best alternative is to use a hefty tuner that can be tuned under any and all conditions.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK sorry if I sound like a dunce, but I just want to make sure I understand all of this (thanks for answering btw). 

Question: So is i the tuner that is being "maxed" which then sends the power to the amp causing an issue? I am wondering if some of the issues I had with my ALS-600 possibly tuning at high power is because the tuner isn't able to support the power? (AT-600ProII). It sounds like upgrading to an AT1000ProII would help by having the extra buffer for tuning?

So basically I will put amp in Stand-By, Click Tune on the Flex 6300 (which I think would trigger the AT600 or AT1000), then when its done put the amp back in Operate mode, correct? 

I am new to amps, so I am confused on the proper tuning process in general apparently.  My process above has blown finals on an ALS-600S and I don't want to do that on my new amp too.

Thanks!

- Andy

• Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I have the Palstar HF auto, Flex 6700, Icom PW1 amp.  Love this tuner.

Jeff

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hello
    I'm agree with Mike.......1000 Proll  would be better....ACOM 600S its well known for going more than 600W  so be carefull....

Cheers

George
    YV5WZ

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    **** question:  Doesn't the ACOM 600S have a tuner in it??  As far as tuners are concerned... Palstar AT2K
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I hope that you resolve your issue with the amp+tuner combo. I just wanted to make a segway comment to highlight the Expert amplifier due to some of the things discussed here.

When I started analysing amplifiers for my station I came across many threads with people having similar issues. It is that inconvenience of having to mix and match several components that lead me to the SPE Expert amp. One device with an automatic switch for 4 antennas and 2 radios, a SO2R port so the second RX input is automatically connected to an RX antenna when you are TXing on the other input. Remote control of all the functions and a fully automatic tuner. I added in my head the cost of these devices separate and the total cost of the Expert seemed very reasonable.

My station is fully auto when it comes to antenna selection, I switch bands on the Flex and the amp follows, and selects the right antenna and remembers the tuner setting before I even key down. I have to use DDUtil to do this because Flex (not sure why) decided not to send band data out of the aux port.

I read that Flex is working with 4O3A on an solid state amp. They need to look at this functionality and improve upon it. If Acom can add those features in their amps it would make hams lives everywhere easier.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I don't believe the 600S has a tuner that I know of.  It has band switching, but not a tuner.

Thanks all, I am going to get the AT1000ProII just to make sure I am taken care of.  
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

Does the AT1000P have the same caveats as the 600p regarding tuning with full power? I would carefully read their on-line manual before buying it. It uses switching relays also. The Palstar uses a roller inductor which is much much better than switching circuits in and out with relays.

Jim, K6QE

• Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks all, until I get better at understanding the new amp and tuner. I decided to go with the PalStar AT2K.  This way I can manually tune it, it might take some getting used to, but it will force me to follow a pattern and tune the antenna, turn amp in StandBy etc. Not as "point and click" as I want, but the PalStar will take more power and seems like it will tune just about anything. I know its not the auto, but after spending $5k on the radio/amp hard to spend another $1500 right now.  Maybe next year I will get the auto.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.