Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External muffin fan - idea

Andrew Thall
Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in New Ideas
I decided to mount an external muffin fan on my 6300 -- the internal fan would keep kicking on once it reached 70c, making lots of noise.  I bought a small, usb powered muffin fan and mounted it over the vents on the right hand side.  I have the air blowing into the radio, and it is rather quiet.  (I originally mounted it so that the air was being **** out of the radio and it was VERY noisy.)  It keeps the radio cool -- I monitor the temperature using Flex Stacks.  Since I've done it, the internal fan hasn't come on even once.

Comments

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What about all of the extra dust build-up ?
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you bought the radio some time ago you might want to open it and clean the fans. If what I think is happening you may have to send it in for a fan replacement. If it is making a screeching noise I would send it in before you loose the finals.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The radio has JUST come back from Flex repair.  The internal fan is in specs and CLEAN.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The finnals are almost impossible to damage.
    It must be just the common fan noise you hear Andrew?
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The 6300 has an internal fan that kicks on when the internal temp hits 70c.  It is very noisy -- especially when trying to copy weak cw signals.  The muffin fan is MUCH quieter and keeps the temp low enough that the internal fan doesn't start up.  Also, it is powered by the same computer that runs SSDR, so, there is no possibility of running transmitter without the cooling.

• Pat ON3CQ
    Pat ON3CQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Andrew use this one "Noctua NF-A8 FLX" i install this fan via tip from WS7M Mark. You have no noise the Noctua confirm the fan from flex. You don't need new cable.

• Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I see the ad for it.  It says that it has three speeds.  Which speed did you select when you installed it?
  • Pat ON3CQ
    Pat ON3CQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You do not have to set anything, open the box and install the fan.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.