External 10 MHz reference

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
I purchased an external 10 MHz GPSDO and have it connected to my Flex 6400. Do I have to run the SmartSDR calibration routine for it to work?
Photo of Bob Young

Bob Young

• 29 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 505 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
Bob you should be able to tell if it is working by looking at Radio Setup, RX tab.  You may need to select the source in the dropdown box.

Photo of Tom

Tom

• 33 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
interesting. I do not have the middle 'source' box showing up as you do. I use a 6500 and a Jackson Labs GPSDO and V2.4.9. Wonder if that box only shows up on the newer series?!
I do not hear relay clicks so I assume it is working. The source box with a check would sure give me satisfaction.
Photo of Bob Young

Bob Young

• 29 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I see the green check mark, so I suppose I am good to go. I just wasn’t sure if I had to click the start button to activate.
Photo of Steve Sterling

Steve Sterling

• 17 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I've recently added an external 10 MHz GPSDO and Do Not have the middle block titled "10 MHz Reference" shown in the comment above by Mark WS7M. Is this because my GPSDO signal is not being used, thus the software doesn't even show the block?  I can't tell if the radio is using external GPSDO signal or not.  The offset after calibrating is certainly different when the 10MHz external is attached compared to the internal TXCO.

Rig: 6700   SSDR: 2.49
(Edited)
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 531 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
The middle block titled "10 MHz Reference will only show up if you have 6400 or 6600
not on 6300, 6500 and 6700.

Photo of Steve Sterling

Steve Sterling

• 17 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Thanks Larry-- that explains it. Was driving me nuts looking for that box. I got a 1ppb offset with the GPSDO and 3000+ppb offset with the internal TXCO so I think it is working fine.  Next up is to get the 1 pps and RS232 NMEA sentences into my ntp server and reconfigure.  I have a poor internet connection with a lot of jitter and dropouts-- so bad it becomes apparent on FT8. This will fix it.
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 480 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
10MHz level
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
For those you buying the external GPSDOs like the ones on Ebay read this:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/my-external-gpsdo-is-crap

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 528 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Be sure to read down to the bottom before making any conclusions.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 449 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Mark your comment is wide as a barn door!   Which GPSDO on Ebay are you referring to?  Not all of them I hope!  lol!  Your mileage may very quite a bit. I see they sell Trimbles on Ebay as well???
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
Barn Door's R Us here...

I will post the names of the things but they certainly are not name brands I recognize.

I hope you are right Cal that I just got two bad ones.   

All I can say is that both of my units say they are perfectly locked but when my signal is monitored by some FMT guys that know what they are doing I get the following comment:

1) You are off by XXX hertz.  IE if I say I'm on 14.042.000 I'm really at like 14.042.008 or something.

2) I waver around by about 1-15 hertz over a fairly short time.  I don't remember the exact time but it was moving almost in a phase circle.

So we plugged in a name brand GPSDO, Trimble.   All of a sudden I'm spot on frequency.  Not 8-10 hz off.  An the waver, while still there is like 1 cycle over like 80 seconds.

My point is simply that, for at least the two "cheaper" GPSDO units I bought trying to save money from a Flex GPSDO.  I'm off enough that FMT guys notice it.

In my specific case I guess I got what I paid for.

Would I be able to put in a good entry for an FMT.  Probably but it would not be great.