Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External 10 Mhz no longer locks under V3.0.27

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just upgraded my Flex 6600 software from V2.4.9 to V3.0.27.  Prior to upgrading software my 6600 was running perfectly with an external 10 Mhz GPSDO.  It would always boot with external 10mhz and always lock.  Immediately after upgrading to V3.0.27 I noticed the radio now boots to the internal TCXO and shows locked.  If I select the external 10 mhz source it goes to searching but never locks.  I've tried re-booting but 6600 always comes up with internal TCXO selected?? 
Is this a software bug?   I've also done the full reset on the 6600 with no change.  Any ideas?
Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2019
    Hi Carl

I use a 10Mhz external clock on a 6600 with V3 and I did check and mine shows locked.  

I do find that the RCA connector cable that I have is not so secure and it has fallen out, but I am sure you checked that.

I am set to Auto and it says External 10Mhz Locked.

What happens if you save your profiles and roll back to 2.4.9?

Mike

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I rolled back to 2.4.9 and radio locks to 10 mhz external ref.   I wonder what the radio defaults to if your set to Auto?  Will it select the external 10mhz or does it default to the internal if both are present?   I checked to see what signal level my external signal is at the rig and it's 2.03 vpp. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I just received my GPSDO yesterday and connected today.
    I have 6600 ver 3.0.27, it shows locked in both "External 10mHz" and "Auto".

Mike, what is prefered settings - External or Auto, if in both cases it shows "Locked" ?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Cal this just a guess but I wonder if they changed the signal level or timing requirements What gpsdo are you guys using.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I received this one yesterday
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263627123794

Sergey, KN7K
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Lee,

I'm using one of the green BG7TBL's   It's been connected and in use with my 6600 for 15 months.  Only had one issue and that was initially the Peak to Peak voltage was 3.31 volts just over the hardware manual maximum listed.  I padded the signal down to 2 Vpp and no more issues until today when I upgraded?   Voltage checked again today still shows 2.0 Vpp. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    i do not have a scope to measure Vptp, but connected to the radio 2 hours ago and so far ok. Need to monitor longer and need to attach antenna on permanent spot around the window. Currently it works with antenna at 2 bars.

Since I never used it before, do I need to perform calibration aftet it locked?
    Sergey, KN7K
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Have you tried clicking "Uninstall" on the GPS tab?  
    My 6600M works fine with the external GPS here. 

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I believe the GPS TAB is only for the Internal GPSDO module you buy from Flex.   It has nothing to do with external 10 mhz reference. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sergey, 

FYI,  the nominal P-P out of the BG7TBL GPSDO is approx. 3.3 Vpp which is right at the Flex max upper limit.  On Version 2.4.9 I initially had issue where 6600 would not boot at all.  I would get a red flash error (fan issue) until I disconnected the external 10 mhz ref.  My P-P voltage was 3.31 V and Flex had me attenuate the signal down to 2.0 Vpp and it's been fine ever since.  I don't know if version 3 will do the same or maybe default back to the TXCO?

Cal/N3CAL
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    you may wish to try a power cycle of the radio  if you have not already done so..
    AL, K0VM
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2019
    Why cant you connect this gps to where the internal GPSDO module from Flex would go.

• Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Roger that is now how the Flex works. It either has the internal module and interface or the external 10mhz bnc input.

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Al,   until I have more time to troubleshoot I've gone back to 2.4.9 and everything is working fine.   73

Cal/N3CAL
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    If it is still not locking for you at 2.0 Volts peak-2-peak, try padding it down to ~1.75 volts P-2-P.
    Who knows if your scope was recently calibrated, or if there is some other consideration.
    It might be worth trying since all it takes is 2 resistors.

Equally, there is no harm in trying it at 2.25 or 2.5 volts peak-2-peak, in case your calibration is
    on the negative side?

Neal
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Cal

I have the same GPSDO as you.  If I can think of it, I will take a look at my setup tonight when I get home from work.  I am using a 6700.

Burch
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Cal- 
    Did you ever resolve this issue?
    Thanks;
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Bill,  after a full uninstall of V3.0.27 and reinstall it's now working with external GPSDO.  

Cal / N3CAL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.