Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

extended warranty - is it worthwhile?

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
As the owner of a new Flex, I am wondering if it would be worth purchasing the extended warranty.  A number of things such as lightening, electrostatic discharge damage, etc. are not covered.  I am interested in learning others' experience.  In what ways did having the extended warranty prove worthwhile, or not worthwhile?  I know that Flex has a strong reputation, but I am simply trying to make an informed decision.

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I think it depends on an individual's comfort level.

For non-warranty FRS repairs I've found both the service and the costs to exceed my expectations.

I'm not all that certain if the non-warranty repairs would have all been covered under an extended warranty, or if they were needed within the extended warranty period. 

I'm including my 5000a as well as the two 6700's, a 6300 I since sold and the 6600M.

That said it is nice to know that anything internal is covered for the additional period.

So I guess it comes back to how you feel about it, if it is personally easier to pay the extended warranty cost now, and if capping the repair costs for in-warranty for a longer period is personally important.

For what it is worth until I saw your post I hadn't given the extended warranty any thought, which I wanted to say as it qualifies my response now because I never considered the option at purchase.

Steve K9ZW

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When you buy a new radio does the warranty start from date of paid invoice or date that shipment is received?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    My take - if you think you'll trade up in a couple of years, don't opt for the warranty.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My take. Like Life Insurance, Extended Warranties are intended to be profitable for the companies selling them. In other word, the cost of repairs should be less than the extended warranty costs b So economically they are statistically a bad deal for the purchaser. (In the case of life insurance. You pay someone else collects). The only reason to by them is “peace of mind” in that you are paying an extra risk premium Over the actual costs you might incur without insurance so as to reduce your financial risk in future I never buy them for electronics or cars or appliances but I am a gambler quite comfortable with risk.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree with Howard and Ria. 

The odds are much greater that you are going to have an issue with with a non covered warranty issue than one that is covered anyway.

Rich
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Depends on the State in which you live... In consumer friendly California, you are likely still covered well after warranty expires.. In less consumer friendly states, it can be invoice date or shipping date. 

Flex has traditionally been pretty generous with the interpretation to the benefit of the purchaser.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Is the warranty not a Flex policy and not a state program?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Warranties in the USA are a bit different... Each state has it's own policies so even though companies can set their own warranty terms, the state rules supersede them

I believe that the EU has a minimum of a 2 year warranty on Electronics and IIRC Flex follows the EU rules in the EU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.