Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

EXPERT ELECTRONICS MB1 compared to 6700

kk4x
kk4x Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
just comparing from an operators stand point, it kills the 6700 on 144 mhz, easy to use. software not complicated, no 3rd party software to use in conjunction with 6700, its completly FUN to use and easy layout, hook up the external Monitor and you can select 2 any of the two programs to run it.  on HF CW I was working CW stations Hertz apart and can pull thru the one I wanted.
I had a Great Time with my 6700, but the MB1 Moved in and took over the shelf in my shack.
Anan is releasing  there NEW ANAN 7000, Sorry to say FLEX moves VERY VERY SLOW.
Hope I did not offend anyone. 73, Ed

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    And they even put N connectors on the case for VHF. Nice!
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If you didn't want to offend anyone, why did you post it here? 

Here's to your everlasting happiness!

Bye.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Sorry to say FLEX moves VERY VERY SLOW.

How so?
  • KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited July 2018
    The MB1 looks like a great rig. However, I understand that it uses a full version of windows 10 which allows the end user to install their own applications just like on a PC.  Needless to say, I would not be happy to find out that my HF rig had been taken over by ransomware. But, then again that's just me............

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Competition is good for the whole industry. But don't hold the funeral for Flex, or any other manufacturer yet.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Just curious if you have tried remote on the MB1? Since it and Anan are thick client connections from the "radio" to the "client" the bandwidth has to be horrible.

That is one area where the Flex will win hands down.

Was running my Flex from the iPhone app today while having lunch with a fellow ham. Try that with the MB1. Not knocking the MB1 but it will not excel at remote operation.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018

I agree fully with kk4x. A friend got a new MB1 about 5 months ago. He is over the moon with it. I had a chance to do a VHF contest with it a few weeks later. Very easy to use and setup. At no time did I have to open the manual. Had it runong N1MM+ and other bits too. All functions very obvious and intuitive without fuss or complication. I would not want a single box solution myself and could not afford one anyways, but I understand the MB1 is due a price drop soon. Still there is also no need for the $800-1k of PC needed either, so there are pros and cons both ways.

The software and the very sweet GUI is what really sets the MB1 apart in my opinion.

The internal PC runs W10 Pro with a complete internal recovery partition - so also very easy to rollback and reset the entire machine and O/S if something goes AWOL.  In a nutshell it feels like a very joined-up and well rounded solution, but just not my thing.

• G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2017
    How is that any different from the PC that connects to your Flex?
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Interesting.  Looks like price is nearer the 6700, but how many slices can be opened on it?  Also, how wide a spectrum can you display at one time?  Just curious because the couple of YouTubes I've watched on it seem to ignore anything like that.  Since the price point is $6K, it would seem the new 6600M might walk all over it for a lower price, but I'd have to see them side-by-side to know....

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Now the $64k question....

The "PC" inside the MB1. What does it use for hardware? If it uses a proprietary power supply, what happens when it goes bad? Same for motherboard.

Flex 5000C had that issue but it had the capability to use the radio portion with an external PC (they looped the Firewire out and back in).

• KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited July 2017
    Well, the MB1 relies on it's own internal PC to operate as a standalone SDR. If there is a malware attack on the MB1's Win 10 OS, it's pretty much dead in the water. Sure, if it's not terribly bad a system restore might reset the radio. However, if the malware has broken the restore partition then that could be a real headache to fix. It would require a clean install of Win 10, not to mention all the custom drivers and custom software needed for the MB1. Expert Electronics really should provide MB1 users with a bootable USB stick for complete recovery in case of a disaster. Once that's solved you still have to go through installing all the Win10 updates and your custom settings. Needless to say that if the MB1 got hacked it would be off the air for awhile. If you never connect the MB1 to the internet, I wouldn't worry about it. The problem is that these hackers are getting better and better, and the chances will continue to rise that the system may get hacked. Just take a look a your internet router log over a few hours at how many times your PC is being probed by hackers. It's a real eye opener.

Sure a computer connected to a non-M Flex model could get hacked just as easily, but the Flex user is not completely of the air because the user can use another computer, iPhone, or iPad to continue to use the Flex while the main computer is being repaired. Since the Flex standalone M-models are running a restricted version of Windows, the chances of having malware problems are greatly reduced. 

I don't know what Expert Electronics were thinking when they did this. It looks like a support nightmare to me. Windows updates and 3rd party programs may cause all kinds of strange issues. 

Again if the MB1 is never connected to the internet or the OS is not updated it should be fine :)

• Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    My MB1 stays off the internet. I love it! Good to hear Ed. Maybe we can still work summer Es on 2ms like we have in the past MB1 to MB1.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    In two words...nice radio
  • KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited July 2017
    Of course that means no Win10 updates or being connected to a computer that is on the internet for logging purposes or digital work...................
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How much you want for the 6700 you don't use any more?
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I don't have a Flexradio or an Expert MB1. But as for running remote, that is not something I really would care about. Also, I believe the MB1 has two receivers. Which is pretty much the same with the 6300, 6400M and 6600M. That is until you connect the 6400M and 6600M to a computer. Then, you get additional slices. For me, I only need 2. To have more than that for me is overkill. But that is just the way I operate.  To each his own and it will be interesting to see the Youtube video's once the 6400M and 6600M are finally released.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    If I spend close to $6,000 on something this technical, it's going to have rock-solid support.  I want to not only ask the manufacturer questions when I have them and get direct answers like I do right here, but I want to be able to send the rig in for repair when all else fails.  I also want upgrades and fixes when they become necessary.

Flex has been around for a while.  Let's compare results twelve years from now and see how many times there have been issues with the MB1 and how quickly they were addressed.  Maybe they will shine, but forgive me if I remain skeptical.

As for Flex moving slow... One of the reasons we never lost a man on a  moon mission was because NASA took their time, did their homework, and did it right the first time every time.  If Flex was in the habit of throwing stuff at the market just to meet arbitrary dates and bring in revenue, they wouldn't have a loyal following.

• Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Not exactly! But then again my server is in Arkansas,
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Flex has never done a release or update that was totally right the first time... I am still waiting for D-Star, DAX, filters and system lockups to be corrected.  Fix these and forget the upgrade to V2.???.
  • Chuck Smith
    Chuck Smith Member
    edited July 2017
    Do you mean direct answers like the ones we got regarding the Maestro internal display battery defect that still has not been addressed? I guess I missed that "direct answer". Having to keep the unit plugged in to AC so it doesn't become a brick is a problem that caused many to have to return the Maestro to Texas. No fix yet ?
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I do not understand the need to post on a FLEX support forum how much they like a competitor product. Should the rest of us email Expert and tell them how much we like our Flex radios ?

This topic is self serving and totally inappropriate for this venue.

I could careless about an MB1 and I certainly do not use this forum to read about Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood radios.

If you like some other radio then good for you, go beat that drum some place else. Flex has every right to delete this entire post because it has NOTHING to do with helping the the owners of THEIR products.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Lee, it's troll bait.  It's a deliberate attempt to rile up the natives, which it has done.  Mea Culpa.

Now, imagine how much worse the problems with Maestro, DAX, etc. would have been if Flex had rushed this stuff out to the market.  There are going to be problems with anything cutting edge.  Most of this stuff didn't even exist until the guys at Flex started messing with "science projects".   A significant amount of the SDR technology came from Flex.

Auto manufacturers have been making cars for over a century and they still have recalls.  And yes, Flex has done dozens of upgrades that went in smoothly and stayed that way.  I've been using them for years.

• Chuck Smith
    Chuck Smith Member
    edited July 2017
    No Steve don't start name calling. I am not a troll. I am contradicting your last Statement regarding direct answers. Several people have requested a response from Flex on this community about the Maestro display battery. It is a clear engineering defect and after many requests where the author of the post has directly asked Flex for an official response not a peep from Tim, Gerald or Steve. Keep a civil tongue and stick to specific issues. I'm not talking about automobiles and you can be a Flex cheerleader, I'm glad your happy. I would like to hear an official response on the Maestro display battery. Will it be addressed at some point? Simple question right?
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I don't care if Flexes are bursting into flames, using another companies resource (forum) to promote a competitor's product is totally inappropriate. Please take your non-flex topics to QRZ or an eham forum and not a Flex support site.

I like many others come here to get FLEX related information. I could careless about some off brand SDR box. This is NOT appropriate place to post this ****. 
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    They are working on switching to a thin client right now with different software and firmware. Currently the Ethernet on them run 100mb, but they are actually 1gb interface.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    I was afraid that this would happen. Some Community members have interpreted this praise topic as an advertisement or endorsement for competitor’s product on the FlexRadio Community which has started to generate negative reactions.  Now Community members are starting to question the intent of comments like this and consider the subject matter non-constructive in nature and respond to it inappropriately.  Ed, KK4X even anticipated that his comments would illicit a negative response by his closing comment.  

No Community member deserves anything less than basic common courtesy and respect from others, regardless of their opinions or perceived inflammatory nature of their posts, but unfortunately, that alone will not prevent reactionary negative behavior that will not be tolerated on the Community.

This type of reactionary behavior is not what we endorse or strive to achieve on the Community.  In a genuine effort to promote continued civility and decorum in the Community, we feel the best course of action at this time would be to close this post proactively.  This action is being taken is not due to the content or subject matter of the post, but solely to what we anticipate will be additional passionate replies and reactions that will undoubtedly violate the Community Usage policy and result in corrective actions taken.  Thank you for your understanding.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.