Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Expert Amp "Operate" On via SmrtSDR or iOS Interface?

Tom OBoyle
Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
Anyone figure out how to turn the SPE expert Amp into OP mode from the SmartSDR interface? I'm running remote sometimes and need to have my auto tuner match before I transmit. Ideas? 73 de Tom, N9GUN

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Tom

I run SmartSDR for IOS remote with an Expert 2K-FA amp.

To control the AMP I use DDUTIL via Parallels Access on the iPad which enables me to do the following.

1. Turn the AMP on and most IMPORTANTLY OFF

2.  Monitor AMP Temperature and Power

3.  Turn the AMP to OPERATE or STANDBY

4.  Select input and/or output antennas

5.  Select Power levels

6.  Inhibit Transmit when my SteppIR is tuning

7. Set SSDR Power Driver Levels to the AMP by Band and Mode

You can do much but not all of this using the SPE Terminal App but it is awkward to use remotely because it emulates keypad strokes rather than a simple pushbutton.

Most of the time - the SPE controls are set it and forget it so I am usually on the SmartSDR ofr iOS screen rather than fiddling with the SPE

BTW... an intriguing feature of the new Power Genius XL is that it will be controllable directly from SSDR so you wont need DDUTIL to run that Amp

• Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks.  That might be my only real option.  
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I use the terminal program that comes with the amp and hook up via USB cable. I can then remote into that computer using teamviewer to control the amp completely
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good Morning Tom,

Your question as I understand it is , how does one remotely tune the 2K FA amplifier's tuner when the 2K FA is not in the operate mode?

With the current USB cabling control, the 2K FA amplifier will be turned on when the 6xxx is energized either with the Maestro or remote computer.  Many times the last frequency state is shown when the 6xxx is activated.  I choose a new band, frequency, the amplifier will select the new band, and frequency.  Just toggle the tune button providing the 2K-FA some  3 ~ Watts of RF and the amplifier tuner will tune to the new frequency. 

Note that you have no control over amplifier  "Standby" or "On". It will always be in "Standby" Then good to go with 1 to 100 Watts.

As far as DDUTIL and all the other supposed successful interfaces go, I guess some are able to make them work, but I have never been successful. My goal is to enjoy Ham Radio and not need to revolve through  layers of confusing computer ****.

As suggested, with Team viewer or MS remote computer assist  you should also be able to work the 2K-FA menu on the remote computer.

Ken K7YR  

• Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ken -. I have a ground mounted vertical that the tuner of the SPE cannot handle so I have a Palstar auto-tuner that has to tune. Unfortunately, it seems to need to retune enough that taking the amp off of operate is required. I have made DDUilts work with other amps, so probably the route I will take. Thanks again, Tom
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Whoops,

Really sounds like the problem is the antenna.  Running one tuner into another is like shooting ducks on the fly, hard to hit a moving target.  When you set up the 2k FA tuner it is set to reasonable stable expected antenna impedance on the various band settings . I can see where in using the Palstar auto-tuner does not provide that repeatable antenna load.

The verticals will provide a good match, but it sometimes takes a lot of adjustment work, especially on a multi band antenna.

Just a thought......... The 2K FA has a mode that is used when using a Stepp IR antenna that , as you know is remotely tuneable.  I think that turns off the internal tuner.  You might try that mode. If the Palstar has your various settings in memory, that may just be able to provide the <3.5 to 1 VSWR needed for the SPE.

Ken K7YR  
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ken -

I do not use the internal tuner on SPE. It is turned off and bypassed.  It can't handle the 43' vertical mismatch.  I knew that when I bought it, but was hopeful that my antenna situation would change in the coming years so I bought the option and bypassed it for now.

Tom, N9GUN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.