EXPERT 1.3 PA and FLEX 6500 ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hello !
I am looking for a detailed description of how to set up my EXPERT 1.3 PA with Flex 6500.
Vy 73 de Wolfgang, DL2RDH
Photo of Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Wolfgang, I did this very installation last month and Expert's Dan Tassell, KC5PCB, kc5pcb2@att.net -- has all of the answers and the made to order cables you need. He gets my "five stars." Well worth the time and money. Ultimately, his setup will allow the Expert amp to control some of the Flex functions like power output for minimum, medium and maximum power output from the Expert amp. If I can help with anything else, just email.

David Ahrendts, KK6DA, Los Angeles
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
I wrote up something. Much of it is still valid. 

http://www.n2rj.com/2016/12/flex-radio-1108-beta-and-serial-port.html?showComment=1496950160336#c881...

You can buy Dan's cables but it's easy to make one if you want to save a few bucks. 

Ria
(Edited)
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Thanks Ria for the USB port write up for the Expert and other stuff, it'll come in handy when I switch over from DDUtil to the USB ports.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2314 Posts
  • 956 Reply Likes
I need to write more but I have not had the time. Particularly pseudo SO2R setup with the 1.3K-FA. 
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 122 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Dan's cable worked perfectly on my 2K plugged into USB port on Flex 6700.  He made mine extra length at very little additional charge.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 415 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I have run both path....

1.- Dan's Cable:  Five Stars...it works...you will be able to turn on your amp at same time your turn on your flex......but....you won't be able to turn off the amp without turn off your flex....no matter you use Expert software if you have turn on option on Dan's Cable....You always will have amp on....Dan's cable has not connection to PC directly

2.- Expert SPE recommended cable: ....only 3 cable to soldering or not --> I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YM3W5P4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)....connected from SPE 1.3Kfa to PC trough female 232 at your PC, I bought female 232 connector from amazon cause my cause my PC has male 232 (Check this point)
You will able either use Expert software or use DDutil.....not both software at same time cause conflitc and corruption...

I Kept 2nd option cause I like to work amp with DDutil....plus my steppIr and rotor

Good Luck!! 73's

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ ....