Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Experiencing intermittent CAT data flow to/from my Flex 6500

Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am using a Flex 6500 to interface with a SPE Expert 1.3K and a AT-Auto tuner.  I am experiencing a condition where after a few minutes of use, the CAT data flow between all three units ceases.  The only remedy I have found is to go to the USB menu and disable then  enable both USB ports.  Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

73, Bob, KN4HH

Comments

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I had a similar problem and it was resolved by adding snap-on ferrites to the USB cable ends. HTH.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You might want to look at the power settings for your USB devices in Windows.  Go to the Control Panel and select Device Manager.  Find the USB devices at the bottom of the listings and open it.  Find your USB devices that affect your amp and double click on each.  Select the Power Management tab and make sure the item "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked on the affected devices.  Also, in your Power Settings under Windows Settings, click on "Additional power settings" under the Related Settings heading.  Click on "Change plan settings" for your current power plan and click on the "Change advanced power settings" at the bottom of the next window.  Click on the + next to "USB settings" then on the + next to "USB selective suspend settings" and make sure both items are set to "Disabled" to assure that your USB devices aren't going to sleep.  You may have to experiment with which devices and settings affect your situation.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are these connected to the Radio's USB ports?
    If so then you might want to try getting a high quality USB POWERED switch like the one Startech sell's that runs off of the 12 Volt station Power supply instead of a Wall wort.
    Have this plugged into the Radio USB port and all the other USB's devices running to the switch instead of the radio.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The USB connections are between the radio's USB and the SPE. The USB settings you referred to are for the PC's USBs. 
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks.  I had no idea that devices plugged into the Flex radio USB ports were affected by Windows.  One Flex USB port is used for CAT data to/from the AT-Auto truner, and the other Flex USB port is used for the SPE amp.  So you are saying that the USB ports on the Flex cannot support these two devices.  No other devices are connected.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sorry, I didn't understand the setup.. Should have known they were the radio's USB ports.  That's what I get for being a computer-oriented guy - always looking at the computer end of things!
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Ignore my comments regarding the PC's USB ports.  I didn't realize your were dealing with the radio's USB ports out to the amp and tuner.  WX7Y's suggestion regarding a powered USB hub connected to the radio is a good, though.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just to comment on Bob's last Question "So you are saying that the USB ports on the Flex cannot support these two devices"
    My own experience on my own 6700, was that I had the AT-Auto FTDI serial cable plugged in to one USB and my USB to BCD FTDI cable plugged in to the 2nd port on my 6700 going to my ALS1300 (if I remember right)  and it would shut the whole radio down. 
    This is clear back when Flex first started supporting USB hardware at the radio, Scared me really bad that I trashed the radio but after powering every thing down and putting on the POWERED high quality USB HUB it has NEVER had another problem. 

Why take a chance on overloading the 5V supply in the radio so I just spent a few bucks to protect the radio.

I have 7 USB devices hanging off of the 10 port HUB that is running on the remote F6700 now and 4 USB devices hanging off the 7 port USB HUB I have on the F6600M here in the house. 

Just make sure it is a Powered USB HUB,  here is a link to what I use here on my radios also has surge protection built in and runs at the same Power supply as the radio.
    7 port 
    https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST7300USBME-Port-Industrial-Protection/dp/B00V6ADRQC/ref=sr_1_14...

10 port
    https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ST1030USBM-Port-USB-3-0/dp/B015ZNWBYE/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qi...

Your mileage may vary and may not be your problem but it's worth a try and cheaper then trashing the Radio.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Many thanks, guys for the suggestions. I will definitely go the station powered usb hub route. I have other instances of overloading usb ports so I understand what you are saying.. Greg, thanks for your suggestion. My bad for not specifying which USB ports were being used. I am always grateful for any and all inputs. That is what is so great about this community. Thanks again and 73, Bob, KN4HH
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi Bob,
    Here is the industrial USB hub I used to provide up to 4 ports.  It provides a high level of isolation / protection as well as does not use any power from the radio.    More info and pics on my web page:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#USB_Port_protection_

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Thanks so much, AL.  Looks like a real hulk.  73, Bob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.