Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Exessive power output on version 0.13 with 6700

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I loaded the new version yesterday but did not get to do any testing. With the new version I am getting very high power output. My external meter is peaking at 160W (80M) with the slider set to 100. This is probably not a good thing. The drive level is below 0dB.

Comments

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Does it happen after cycling power to the radio?
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    With a soft shut down, yes. Should I try a complete shut down (remove power) and reboot? Thank you. Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I did a full power down and reboot this evening. Still getting excessive power output....140-160W on various bands. Greg
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    i have no such issue with my 6700+GPSDO on 0.13. Carrier - 97watts SSB up to 110 watts let's check power supply
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    please check in SSB.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    OK will do at evening one more, yesterday i have measured 110watt peak on SSB
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Greg, checked right now TUNE-CW-SSB=97w-97w-110w(peak) PSU - Diamond GSV-3000 measure was on the meter of the 2k-fa
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    TUNE in SSB is no different than tune in CW. Set your power slider to 100 and adjust your mic gain/CMP so that you do not exceed 0db on peaks. Give a long Heeeeeellllooo and see what your external and radio meters say. I don't have a problem in CW or using TUNE. Just when using voice. I did not check digital modes yet.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I just checked in CW and I am getting 135W out on the external meter. SSDR showing right about 120 on the bar graph. Something with the last update is making my radio think its superman when its not....at least not yet. :) Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Yes but I like to know that my power output is close to what I set for driving amps and such. Requesting 100W and getting 150 is not good for amplifiers. Greg
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Of course. But its not rocket science...if I dial the radio back 60w I expect it to put out 60w +/- . Not 90.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    If no one else is having this issue maybe its a hardware problem. But that would seem unlikely since it started with the update.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Well Greg, i can just comment what in SSB power higher then in CW roughly on 10% - 15%, but you are right this is abnormal too. In case selected 100 - should be 100 in all modes. Calibration is not 100% perfect at the moment.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ah, but there is no "60w" setting on the radio. When you set RF out to "60" you are setting it to 60%, not 60w. That's how all of the flex radios have worked in the past and it's documented in the manual. If you want to see how much is coming out of the radio to the exact watt, you need to have a wattmeter on the output.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Since this looks to be a calibration issue, I am converting it to a HelpDesk support ticket for additional triage.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.